• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job as commander B744

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coronary bypass surgery is done when an heart feeding artery get clogged by aglomeration of cholesterol and calcium accumulation on the intern skin of the coronary artery (The so called "Intima").
This is actualy the same principle as a bypass for a clogged filter within a fuel or oil system. In fact it is a simple surgery where the medics use a "non vital" blood vessel to bypass the clogged part of the coronary artery. The only problem is that the heart has to be put to stillstand in order to archieve this micro-chirurgy, not talking about opening your thorax in two to acces the heart. These days, if possible, this illness is cured without an open operation, where the clogged section is openend within the artery, with help of a catheter and a balloon inserted in the the R/H side of the Aorta via the viril or the arm artery. This is called PTCA.
Hope I answered you question.
Greetz,
Lion

Last edited:
lion2850 said:
Hello,

I am a KLM captain on the B744 about to retire at age 56. Have quite an experience and I am looking for a job. As I had 4x bypasses a lonf time ago, I was not admited at SIA and CAL, KAL. That because of their high medical requirements. I do have a JAA class I medical and still fly as commander B744 at KLM. I would love to keep on flying after KLM. Anybody has an idea where I could apply? Polar is looking as far as I know, Air Atlanta as well. I have send quite a lot of resumes without any result so far...

I would apreciate any help, address, or e-mail where I could apply.
I do thank you all in advance for any idea or help.

Lion 2850

I'm sure a few of us would love to go to work at KLM. Can you post some info on how to get hired over there?

Hey Lion,

Check out the following website if you haven't already done so.

- www.contractair.net
- www.euro-pacific-aviation.com
- www.hawaiiaviation.com
- www.rishworth.co.nz
- www.parc-group.com
- www.sigmaraviation.com
- www.stormaviation.com

Also checkout Boeing/Flight Safety International at www.flightsafety.com You could probably find employment with them as a (synthetic) simulator instructor. As you probably know, they also have locations in Europe.

CAE is another one where you might find employment as a simulator instructor. Their website is www.cae.com

How long before you will hang up your hat at KLM? If it's going to be a little while before you retire, I advise you to go ahead and get the FAA First Class medical ASAP. That way you can battle the FAA, as I'm pretty sure they will want to look at your medical records, while still employed and hopefully you will have your new FAA medical in hand when you have officially retired from KLM.

I'm confident that you will pass the FAA exam as it is a yoke compared to the JAA medical you do at Aeromedisch Instituut Luchthaven Schiphol. It's just that the FAA (and most other aviation authorities) is known for being an a$$ because they can be and you are not known to them, you don't have a history. Most likely it will just be a one time ordeal, but possibly worth it!

You can also take the FAA ATPL theoretical exams (easy compared to the new 14 subject JAR-FCL examinations) and the practical flight test. Off-course keep your JAA license valid and that way you'll be dual rated, greatly improving your chances for gaining employment.

Lion, I have a question for you in return. Do you know of any US or NL aircraft operators (corporate or private) in The Netherlands or elsewhere in Europe that will employ FAA rated commercial pilots? I know there is an outfit at Eelde Airport that flies King Airs and I know of several operators in Maastricht that operate US (N) registered aircraft but don't know how to find out who and where they are.

If you know of anybody or hear something, would you mind sending me a private message (PM) or an email [email protected]

BTW, ik ben Nederlands maar woon/werk in de VS.

Last edited:
I e-mailed you and will inform about these operators if they do exist. I will return a.s.a.p.
This week is prof-check and AMS-BKK-AMS from sunday until the end of the coming week. I will try to send you an answer as soon as I am back in NL.
Thank you for the info. In the Far East, there is almost no joy for me! All operators are medical sick...I mean that they have absolutly crazy norms! What do you expect from a 55 years old human beeing? They expect Adonis or something close to it as far as health is concerned!

1013dot25hPa said:
Hey Lion,

Check out the following website if you haven't already done so.

- www.contractair.net
- www.euro-pacific-aviation.com
- www.hawaiiaviation.com
- www.rishworth.co.nz
- www.parc-group.com
- www.sigmaraviation.com
- www.stormaviation.com

Also checkout Boeing/Flight Safety International at www.flightsafety.com You could probably find employment with them as a (synthetic) simulator instructor. As you probably know, they also have locations in Europe.

CAE is another one where you might find employment as a simulator instructor. Their website is www.cae.com

How long before you will hang up your hat at KLM? If it's going to be a little while before you retire, I advise you to go ahead and get the FAA First Class medical ASAP. That way you can battle the FAA, as I'm pretty sure they will want to look at your medical records, while still employed and hopefully you will have your new FAA medical in hand when you have officially retired from KLM.

I'm confident that you will pass the FAA exam as it is a yoke compared to the JAA medical you do at Aeromedisch Instituut Luchthaven Schiphol. It's just that the FAA (and most other aviation authorities) is known for being an a$$ because they can be and you are not known to them, you don't have a history. Most likely it will just be a one time ordeal, but possibly worth it!

You can also take the FAA ATPL theoretical exams (easy compared to the new 14 subject JAR-FCL examinations) and the practical flight test. Off-course keep your JAA license valid and that way you'll be dual rated, greatly improving your chances for gaining employment.

Lion, I have a question for you in return. Do you know of any US or NL aircraft operators (corporate or private) in The Netherlands or elsewhere in Europe that will employ FAA rated commercial pilots? I know there is an outfit at Eelde Airport that flies King Airs and I know of several operators in Maastricht that operate US (N) registered aircraft but don't know how to find out who and where they are.

If you know of anybody or hear something, would you mind sending me a private message (PM) or an email [email protected]

BTW, ik ben Nederlands maar woon/werk in de VS.

KLM is actually looking for experienced pilots at this moment

If you are between 20 an 30 years old, have a valid JAA ATPL and a class 1 medical, at least 600 hours of "heavy", then write to:

KLM HR SPL/OP
t.a.v. Hr. S. van Mijgaarden
Po Box 7700
1117 ZL Luchthaven Schiphol
The Netherlands

I do not think that KLM will accept an FAA licence. But you may always give it a try. The old law of need and availability is governing our world!
Good luck and let me know if I can do anything for you!
Lion

freightdogfred said:
I'm sure a few of us would love to go to work at KLM. Can you post some info on how to get hired over there?

KLM is actually looking for experienced pilots at this moment

And you have to be fluent in Dutch, or agree to learn it in one year..?

That was the old requirement anyway, perhaps they have done away with it 'cause of EU and all that.
(Plenty of Spantax pilots would probaby love to work for KLM)

As for keep on flying after age 55....?

Surely you don't have to?
Full retirement package and pension from the airline and the Government right?
Why not go fishing then, or build an ultralight, or write a book or something.
There is plenty of pilots out there that have lost their pensions and savings in bankruptices and those guys could use the seat.

If you are planning to start over here in the US, and if you have a valid green card and social security number, plan on starting at the bottom of a non-sched's seniority list as an F/O with Southern Air, Kallitta or Tradewinds, on the classic, no -400s on the bottom, yet...No duty time llimits there..Plan on 40 hour duty days and plenty of deferred maintenance items...All for about $3,500.00 per month without overtime.
You could maybe double that if you worked 25 days a month, that is 5 days OFF....

Upgrade could come in a year or two, but by then you would be probably be tired of long hours and dirty cargo ramps and long gone.

My advice, go retire...I would if I could...In a flash..

Ex-major airline, ex-plenty non-sced, ex-plenty chapter 11s.

If Polar or Atlas resume hiring, you stand a good chance at getting the 400 as a new hire F/O. (About 60/40, with the 60% being the 400)

At least that was the case in 2005 hiring.

Jade

Thank you for your post, but, unfortunately, China uses the same stantards as the rest of the Far east.
No ex-heart surgery is accepted there. It is a shame that such big differences exist in terms of medical standards between JAA/FAA and the rest of the world.

Thank you anyway!
Kind regards,

Lion

Latest resources

Back