Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Job app question .. Have you ever failed a proficiency check?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sandstorm

I'm working on a job application and would like some clarification please.

I did all my intial flight training at a Part 141 school. Through out the course of training, we had several stage / progress checks, in addition to those check rides for an actual certificate or rating.

Would you guys say that an unsatisfactory stage / progress check is considered the same as failing a proficiency check?

I'm leaning towards no, because to me proficiency check implies part 121.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

My vote is not the same. They probably won't find out about it either. To leave it out is another question. If your driving record/other records are just as steller as your training record since the old stage check, it maybe a good thing to talk about in the interview.

The advice I was given was use full disclosure if you currently have a job. It is better to be denied a job while employed than not disclose then get called out of class if they find out you lied.

Most likely you have a proven period of succesful check rides to counter your past.

I do think that current interviews might focus on checkrides after the Buffalo crash but not a 141 deal. (just guessing)

No, a progress or stage check is NOT any type of proficiency check. A part 141 check does not count as a BFR. A proficiency check does. A prof. check gives you (or renews) an operating privelage. A 141 check does not. It only lets you continue training.

I'm working on a job application and would like some clarification please.

I did all my intial flight training at a Part 141 school. Through out the course of training, we had several stage / progress checks, in addition to those check rides for an actual certificate or rating.

Would you guys say that an unsatisfactory stage / progress check is considered the same as failing a proficiency check?

I'm leaning towards no, because to me proficiency check implies part 121.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Thanks

You're an RJ captain with over 7000 hours TT and you're worried about a stage check from flight school? No employer currently is going to ask UND or Empty Nipple about your stage checks... Jesus. H. Christ.

on a pogo stick.

On the flip side, it will make a good interview story during the TMAAT questions. Go ahead and disclose it but make sure to explain how it happened during your initial flight training and not at a 121 carrier.

These guys are correct. Only certificated rides or "Pink Slip" rides are reported to the FAA. That said, I do not think that it will be a stretch to see majors and probably regional airlines looking for you to sign a release for your Part 1414/142 training records in their interview process. One more tidbit that may result of the last major crash.

I can tell you that my airline hired pilots with 121 type failures, but as with everything, it was well documented, and it is a minor recheck.

Anyone who has been in this industry ten plus years knows that people fail rides. It is very subjective and for that reason, many if not all interviewers are looking for accountability of the applicant. Of course they are looking for patterns, but a botched V1 cut, not doing eights on pylons correctly etc, are all fair game as there are parts of each maneuver that are subjective. My advice is to be honest.

I reported every traffic infraction I had from age 16 on, and when we go to that part of the application, they just thanked me for being honest and thorough.

Latest resources

Back