• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jurassic Jet

Freight Trash
Joe Hete on the upcoming DHL announcement:

"I am obviously not going to say much about those discussions now but I can say that we’re pleased that they recognize the strategic importance of the US market and that they know they need efficient, reliable and dedicated partners to be successful.

We know that it will take time for DHL to get its US operations on solid financial footing. We also know that their restructuring, is combined with a strong prolonged economic slowdown in the US; it could bring challenges for both of us but I’m significantly more optimistic than I was few months ago about our future with DHL and eager for all of our companies to play a part in making them more successful in the US and elsewhere."

Joe Hete:

As, Quint mentioned we continue to work through issues with our ABX Air pilots that have hurt ABX Air charter margins. The establishment of the domicile in Osaka for crews that do our flying for ANA has addressed a part of the problem although these costs had a significant impact on our first quarter results.

Unfortunately the pilot union leadership continues to resist changes that are inevitable in the air cargo business even though they are among the best paid pilots in the industry.

It is simply impossible for us to provide all our flight crews with the domicile assignments and the schedules they would like while meeting the changing demands of our customers. We have repeatedly advised them and under any possible future scenario DHL would likely require fewer aircraft and fewer pilots from all of the carriers that support the US air network including ABX Air.

As a result for ABX Air to grow its ACMI business and provide opportunities for pilots, it must adapt to the needs of other customers including those with less predictable schedules from less appealing locations. Without that flexibility our only profitable means of capturing new business maybe to drive away some more of our aircraft to operators that can provide their own crews. Sometime the pay scale is much lower than what our ABX pilots earn now.

We want to be part of DHL's new operating platform in the United State as well as its growth plan in the rest of the America, but we will not accommodate either DHL or pilots in a way that would comprise our returns for shareholders or harm our relationship with other customers.

John Graber:

Charles, good morning. This is John Graber, I am the President of ABX Air. The increased pilot costs are in the neighborhood of a penny a share and they are the result of a disagreement we are having with the union as Joe mentioned and we don’t know how long those cost will continue though; we are taking steps to moderate those costs and drive them down as fast as possible and I think we’re going to see some success in that almost immediately.

Me: :confused: :confused: :confused: What on earth is this guy talking about???? All I see is increasing JRM every month and more and more D13 days. Oh...I know...park the aircraft...that'll do the trick.

Not sure if my math is right but sounds like a little over a $600,000 hit on quarterly earnings.

Joe Hete:

In every decision our guiding principle will be what represents the highest and best use of that asset or where we can get the best return on it for the shareholder. By following that principle and with the greater appreciation among some in our workforce by the realities of the competitive air cargo marketplace I believe that is ATSG and our future looks bright in deed. Thank you.

Gee...wonder who he is talking about???

Additionally, for ABX guys, take a close look at page 20 of the shareholder presentation. It may be a hint.

(Opens Adobe Acrobat document)

http://www.abxair.com/abxholdings/2008-abxa-shp.pdf

Yep, thats the page I was talking about catching my eye in the other thread. I didn't like the look of that page. I think they are preparing the investors for something. I also think your tid-bits were definitely verbiage used to communicate to the pilot group, not so much the investors. I hope they can spool up enough work to keep adding 767's. Because if DHL thinks they can attract customers by a reduction in fleet and service, they will soon be out of business in the USA.

Sounds bad

My guess is the writing is on the wall, for about half of the pilots at Abx, are days are definetly numbered.

i cannot see any other way for it to play out.

Astar can do no wrong, and we can do no right.

Death of an airline, yellow style. They sux.

My guess is the writing is on the wall, for about half of the pilots at Abx, are days are definetly numbered.

i cannot see any other way for it to play out.

Astar can do no wrong, and we can do no right.

Death of an airline, yellow style. They sux.

It's not just pilots, but they will see the largest numbers.

A little off subject!

"Well wonders happen. We just got the internal news that EAT is going to operate 1 B767-300 out of Bru as from next year on.
DHL Air UK will operate 2 out of Ema. Aircraft's will operate under DHL Air UK AOC.
The other 3 B767's ar not allocated yet."

This was posted on pprune.org website yesterday!

Looks like those 767er's are definately staying on the other side of the pond.

Bitter et al... I was wondering how you think a potential reduction in force would be handled? Right now the most junior pilots at ABX Air are domiciled in Japan. If ABX Air did furlough, their ANA charter would collapse, wouldn't it? IMHO, this is why we are so short staffed... so that when the DHL aircraft are parked, there will be no furloughs. Wishful thinking maybe.

My feeling is that the furlough will be so large, that they will just absorb ANA back into the ILN 767 lines and cut a deal with union, similar to the 23 on 23 off deal on the table before.

JMHO!

abxdx;1586398 Looks like those 767er's are definately staying on the other side of the pond.[/quote said:
Don't be so sure of that. I bet DHL will place the other 3 on this side of the Atlantic.

Also, if things go back to the open flying being consumed at higher rates, are we really all that understaffed?

Latest resources

Back