Jim LeRoy killed in crash at Dayton Airshow

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

whatfuelpolicy

DAYTON — A pilot died after a crash at the Vectren Dayton Air Show on Saturday.
Pilot Jim LeRoy died while enroute to Miami Valley Hospital in a Black Hawk helicopter, according to Dayton's Director of Aviation Ifpikhar Ahmad. Mark Carpenter, fire chief at Dayton International Airport, said that the pilot did not make it alive to Miami Valley Hospital.

According to Carpenter, LeRoy's plane hit the ground and slid about 300 yards and burst into flames. Fire trucks were at the accident within one minute and the fire was quickly extinguished. "We cut Mr. LeRoy out of the aircraft," Carpenter said. The crash occured around 2:30 p.m.
The air show was canceled for the rest of Saturday. The air show will continue as scheduled on Sunday, said Michael Emoff, chairman of the board of trustees of the United States Air & Trade Show.
Tickets and wristbands from Saturday's air show will be honored on Sunday, according to Emoff. "This is a very sad day for all of us," Emoff said. "We have the opportunity to have a big show tomorrow."
Black smoke and flames could be seen by the crowd across the field from the crash site at Dayton International Airport. LeRoy was in a Bulldog Pitts plane that was part of aerobatic show called Code Name Mary's Lamb.
There were two stunt planes flying, doing loops and flying upside down. One plane swooped toward the ground and crashed.
The crowd fell silent. The announcer asked the crowd to turn in any video that may have recorded the crash to make it available for an investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board.
Emergency crews remain on the scene. The two-plane routine was the last act before the Thunderbirds were to perform.
"Our team has made the decision not to perform today. This is a sad thing to see happen," said Air Force Capt. Elizabeth Kreft, public affairs officer for the Thunderbirds.
There was no comment from Brenda Kerfoot, general manager of the air show. "We're trying to find out."
We will update this story throughout the day.

Sad. I had a few beers with him at the ICAS convention a few years back. God speed brother.

I had the pleasure of meeting him a number of years at our local airshow in Terre Haute, Indiana and polishing off some Jack with him....he was a great individual....an all around good person....few and far between these days.....and he bar none the best pilot I have ever seen in person. He did things in that S2S that made me just shake my head in amazement. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Thanks for the memories Jim. You will be missed.

Man, what a terrible week it's been. Thoughts to his family and friends.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends and anyone who knew him. Rest in peace brother...

Latest resources

Back