JFK/LGA base living?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

magrs

Am considering accepting recall which would mean a move to the NY area. I am familiar with Western CT and New Jersey housing/schools, but what are the best options for a possible move to PA for a commute into the NYC airports? I am looking for a more rural setting with decent schools. I was thinking Stroudsburg area or possibly NH with a flying commute through BOS.

Any ideas or help will be much appreciated.

Bucks county PA should be plenty rural as is the Stroudsburg area. As you know, both about a 2 hr drive to JFK in good weather/good traffic.

Check out Lackawanna County. 2:20 to JFK with no traffic. Good schools, low taxes. Beautiful landscape. Admittedly, Scranton is a dump but there is really no reason to venture into the city. Clarks Summit/Waverly area is fairly upscale.

Lots of airline peeps live around the Allentown area, as well.

Long Island is tax hell, Westchester is big money, Sparta NJ is popular with airline people, Brewster NY is nice but do not know about schools. Conn. is your best bet with a quick shot down the Merritt PKWY to Whitestone Bridge...go early shows... traffic is harsh....Lots of nice towns with good school districts in Fairfield County... Eastern PA can be dumpy if you can not get out of town. Port Chester NY is nice...

Last edited:
Im a southern Connecticut guy, I also vote CT. Early shows for me is 1 45 to the lot, I bid uncommutable high credit 3-4 days. I also lived in PA but couldn't stand hitting hours of traffic at all hours to get across the Hudson.... At least in Connecticut you have the Tri-Borough, the Whitestone, and the Throgs Neck. From PA you have only the GWB or going out of your way to the Verrazano ($$$) or dealing with the tunnels($$$) and the island.

I live on LI and it is super expensive, but you can get some reasonable priced places on the east end/north fork that are 'relatively rural'. Taxes would be in the 5-7k range for a 400-500k place. Check out pillow. I live very close to JFK, pay a ton in taxes, but live in an excellent school district. If I lived somewhere where I had to send kids to private schools, I'd spend way more. Also, Danbury, CT is another good area.

Thanks guys!

Grew up in the Danbury area, just not sure if I want to make it a lifelong home.

I've gotten used to cheap living, but those days are apparently coming to an end.

Latest resources

Back