• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue- To go or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've flown with at least two former NetJets pilots and neither one has any desire to return to any fractional. FWIW.

Then do it chief, Enjoy your coast-to-coast commute. You did paint a false picture. you didn't intitially say you were in a smaller base. Chances are that a new hire will be based in JFK or BOS and won't be on reserve for 4 years like you did. Being based in LGB was YOUR CHOICE and you don't have anyone to blame but yourself for your dissatisfaction.

If you're not happy find a new job and quit complaining, see if the grass is greener.

Thank You..."CHIEF" for your thoughts of wisdom! True,,, It is my choice to be LGB Based and yes I can very well bid back to the East Coast for a better quality of life. Just remember smart guy....WE ALL work under the same Flight Scheduling Manual and work rules. Life can get ugly just as quickly as it got good!!!

I voted for an elected and represented process... obviously more of my colleagues choose to keep the current process in tact! Good for them, I hope it all works out in the end!

I've talked to numerous Jetblue pilots and have friends that are Jetblue pilots. There are not many jobs out there right now that are better. Jetblue used to be a crappy company to work for compared to almost all the legacies. Now Jetblue is comparable to Delta, American, and United/Continental. It is better than US Airways. All of the airlines mentioned are coming up on the first post-bankruptcy section 6's. We'll see how it goes. It status quo is maintained, Jetblue might be a really good career airline.

Hockeypilot status quo is not acceptable.

except for the health care, retirment, LOL, LTD, SCOPE and work rules... yea, comparable to all those others. Get past the hourly rate and things slip fast around here.

Don't get me wrong, JB kills any regional out there and probably most fractionals but we have a long row to hoe to get to the SWA, DAL, ect. level. Frankly the JB is only 11 years old argument is old too. For our size, we should be doing better.

I like it here, but I hope to make it a better "destination airline" place to work... It's gonna take LOTS of work.

Last edited:
Jetblue used to be a crappy company to work for compared to almost all the legacies. Now Jetblue is comparable to Delta, American, and United/Continental.

Let us not forget that the Legacies reduced thier pay and benefits down through BK to compete with JB and the likes.

I left a fractional for JB and it was a good move for me. The flying is boring compared to fractional but QOL is way better. However dont overlook how long you might be on RSV. As well crashpads and commuting blows!!!

I've looked at jetBlue and was lucky enough to interview and get the "yes-nod", However I decided for ME, leaving a good RJ-job mid-level Captain seniority, living in domicile, the huge cut in quality of life just wasn't worth it. Going from picking a schedule, to being bottom reserve in a base I would have to commute to, -and as many have said - a very young pilot group (most younger than myself) just didn't make sense to me.

Pay and all that other stuff didn't really factor into my decision, but it would have taken 5+ years to break even (figuring at least 2 years reserve). Only to leave at the first opportunity ie. Alaska, American, etc.

So for me, I had to ask...why? Just to fly a bigger acft?

I've looked at jetBlue and was lucky enough to interview and get the "yes-nod", However I decided for ME, leaving a good RJ-job mid-level Captain seniority, living in domicile, the huge cut in quality of life just wasn't worth it. Going from picking a schedule, to being bottom reserve in a base I would have to commute to, -and as many have said - a very young pilot group (most younger than myself) just didn't make sense to me.

Pay and all that other stuff didn't really factor into my decision, but it would have taken 5+ years to break even (figuring at least 2 years reserve). Only to leave at the first opportunity ie. Alaska, American, etc.

So for me, I had to ask...why? Just to fly a bigger acft?

To each there own, but some things are a bit inaccurate. I too was at Awac, and lived in base. The difference in qol is astonding, reserve was 6 months, and 2nd year pay will equal out to be 90 to 100k.( I work alot) I could almost certainly not hit anywhere nears those numbers at awac. Reasons im happy im not at Awac.... No bob frisch, no broken aircraft being ferryed 1000 miles unpressurerized, no semi annual mechanical emergencies, no arguing with margo, no dealing with the gecko (eddie), no more 5 a/c swaps in 1 day, no more terminal f, no more motel 8 quality hotels (except buffalo), no more sweltering without an apu, no more grinding just to make 70k, no more 5 leg 14 hour scheduled days, no more scheduled reduced rest, No more threats and intimidation for calling out fatigued, no more doctors notes to call out sick, no more "asking permission" to swap, drop, move, or alter my trips, no more acceptance checklists( minor I know), no more "we cant find you a room during this irop, sleep in the crew room, no more 50% training center wash out, no more "battle of asap", no more MEC taking flight pay loss over holidays and not explaining what they were doing for the pilot group on Christmas,(i think we might need an mec though, no more CONSTANTANT fight with management, and no contract ending in 2015 with 5-15 lease returns in 2013.
Again, please dont take this thd wrong way. I can see why with a young group you would stay and wait for swa or Delta, but i would not compare our qol or pay with Awac.

Last edited:
young pilot group or not-Iam sure any 01'-03 mesaba hire would jump at the chance to work for a company like JetBlue. I would be nervous getting on and having to commute to reserve for a long period but I hope the aircraft keep coming. oh and I get a chance at an interview -but then again, I am sure with others starting to hire-a pilot might have opportunities at a number of places

Assuming one gets the E190 which base NYC or Boston has the best chance for holding a line the quickest. I know I know. Everything can change in the blink of an eye.
Also wondering what the routes of the E190 are out of those two domiciles. Is it just Northeast flying or do you head down south or out west to mix it up a bit.

Assuming one gets the E190 which base NYC or Boston has the best chance for holding a line the quickest. I know I know. Everything can change in the blink of an eye.
Also wondering what the routes of the E190 are out of those two domiciles. Is it just Northeast flying or do you head down south or out west to mix it up a bit.

Boston by FAR. Im on the 320, but what ive seen the 190 does northeast, northsouth, and now some carribean flying.

Latest resources

Back