• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue- To go or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any recommendations for a guy with a perfectly clean record, all the boxes checked, all the minimums reached, former regional guy with, former Netjets, and has more than 5 or so contacts there.......

Any one have any other ideas other than get that profile in as soon as the window opens? PM if you want, or have any ideas... I've wanted to work at JB almost since they first started up. Seriously.... Unfortunately, by the time I became 'competative" hiring dried up and it became very difficult to get on compared to post 9/11-2006 timeframe.

Thanks

All depends on where you come from. Any regional, no matter how shiny the jet, it's a step up. Full time CA line holder with 52 weeks vacation....its still a step up.

Been here 7 years. The above advice is good. Coming from a regional, a step up. Upgrade and reserve times are changing by the day with new aircraft deliveries. Just flew with a 320 FO who sat reserve for 5 months in JFK. Guy in his class got LGB by some random chance but he lives there so he is happy. First 2 years will be break even years financially speaking at best. After that the pay and schedules are better than any regional. E190 growth is in Boston and A320 Growth is in NY. Maybe some more west coast flying soon but nothing has been announced quite yet. Although things for the most part are ok, there is still a lot of progress to be made and a CBA would have made that much easier. Like the above said, coming from a regional you will be mostly happy. Coming from the mil you will be mostly happy. If your were at a major before then don't expect things to be any better. There are still issues with benefits (medical, retirement etc) that need to be addressed. Just my 2 cents.

Reserve for 4 full years???? interesting... I've been here a year and was only on reserve for 5 months. Don't paint a false picture. It's good, union or not.
Dont tell me to paint a false picture......... If you are not based in JFK or BOS life is probably good for you....YAY...Sounds like you are already one of the guys who "HAS HIS" Come on out to one of the smaller bases and see what your senior brothers and sisters have to say. I will be happy to bid back and sit mucho senior to you. Enjoy working EVERY HOLIDAY...
I chalk your post up to being young, naive and dont really know sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!1

ASA...... Come One, Come All....

Been here 4 full years.... Reserve 4 full years.... Who the h-ll knows what would happen in a merger?????????????

I am all for newbies coming on property! Take your chances and see what happens

I also welcome all new comers. I do not mean this to be an attack by any means....but for those of us that have come from or are coming from another regional, we all have suffered with the quality of life the last few years. Hell EVERYONE has had to suffer the stagnation the last 4 years. I just spent 10 years in a 50 seat regional jet, with 80 months (almost 7 years) of which were on reserve. I have commuted coast to coast; half way across the country; driven 4 hours; and my last stop was only a 1.5 hour drive, thank god. Gathered up quite a few t-shirts and stories but I still feel very humbled by my experience so far.
The point being is right now the original poster PROBABLY will not suffer with the extremely long reserve if he chooses his domicile appropriately. However things can always change but coming from a regional, I am sure he knows how to suffer for a little bit. Pain is temporary. ASA, I think you will be pleasantly surprised though.

Dont tell me to paint a false picture......... If you are not based in JFK or BOS life is probably good for you....YAY...Sounds like you are already one of the guys who "HAS HIS" Come on out to one of the smaller bases and see what your senior brothers and sisters have to say. I will be happy to bid back and sit mucho senior to you. Enjoy working EVERY HOLIDAY...
I chalk your post up to being young, naive and dont really know sh!t!!!!!!!!!!!1

Good to release the anger here before you fly........ It is your choice to sit reserve in a small base or sit as a line holder in a big one. I have also been here a year and can hold a line in every base besides MCO and LGB, and I know full well there is a chance of upgrade before I hold a line in either. If your life in a small base sucks I welcome you to enter BOS and bump me down a spot, you are more senior and deserve to go to work without being miserable. Until the next system bid I will sympathize with you... If you choose not to switch to a larger base after the next system bid then I will not. I hope the best for your quality of life, we all know it can be challenging at times.

As for the original poster, this is a far better job then any regional and as good as many nationals. Is it a 19 day off commutable wide body schedule?... No. But the overnights are great, the pay is good, and I generally get the feeling when I go to work that the chiefs, especially Trey have my back. That's a lot better then the combative attitude at many airlines in this country. That said, we have a ways to go, and we will not rest on our laurels. This whole comparing our life to the regionals is crap, we all know it. When we can compare ourselves to Swa, Alaska, and Delta we will know that this place has matured,

Ive been here just under 5yrs. I also came from the regionals and am happy to be here. I'm dissapointed with the union vote outcome but Im not looking to jump ship over it. I was lucky that I held my base where I live right out of training and am bidding fairley senior. Upgrade is so up and down here that you cant predict how long, I can hold 190 CA if wanted but choose not to for QOL. Throw your app in, get offerd the job first before you making a choice.

Jet Blue is a nice stepping stone from regional to major. I would apply and accept the job, all the while applying and updating my stuff with the majors. I think that having A320 on your resume is a plus.

If you are a retired military pilot with good medical and pension, you might stay at JB if you can live in base. If you are under the age of 40, you definately want to be looking for a career airline.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Is there any way to see the contract you have to sign? Wonder what it says in fine print. I guess that would answer the peaches and cream and oh by the way concerns.
What's a typical duty day and rest period like? Long sits between flights? Short overnights? What about the commuter clause?

Latest resources

Back