JetBlue taking local Union Heat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nimtz

Running these ads on CNBC all morning. Quite frankly they don't make any sense especially to casual observer.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/FREE/71116007/1040

Security guard union blasts JetBlue

The ads from Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ appear on cable television, taxi television and the Internet,
November 16. 2007 2:38PMBy: Anne Michaud

A union that represents security guards is launching a six-figure advertising campaign against JetBlue Airways for paying its guards poorly.

The ads from Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ, which appear on cable television, taxi television and the Internet, seeks to reach JetBlue’s customers who use JFK International Airport. JetBlue contracts with Summit Security service to provide 80 security guards at the airport, who are paid just $20,000 a year, one ad claims, or “not enough to feed a family.”

The three, 15-second spots also refer to JetBlue’s disastrous cancellation in February of hundreds of flights, to passengers’ confinement for hours on grounded airplanes and to the airline’s “lousy snacks.”

A JetBlue spokesman says that the Summit Security guards focus on traffic control, not baggage and aircraft security. Beyond that, he declined to comment on internal labor issues.

SEIU Local 32BJ, which is trying to organize the Summit workers, represents more than 50,000 building services workers in New York, including maintenance crews, cleaners, doormen and superintendents.

JetBlue contracts with Summit Security service to provide 80 security guards at the airport, who are paid just $20,000 a year, one ad claims, or “not enough to feed a family.”

So they work for Summit Security but they want Jetblue to give them Benefits and pay increases.:laugh:

Last edited:
Running these ads on CNBC all morning. Quite frankly they don't make any sense especially to casual observer.

What do you mean they "don't make any sense?" You can disagree with the message, but it seems to make sense and be pretty straight forward to me.

These ads are not run by, or for, the poor summit security guards making 20k.

They are run by, and for, the union who wishes to take that work away from Summit, or represent Summit, and for JB to pay twice as much for the service.

What do you mean they "don't make any sense?" You can disagree with the message, but it seems to make sense and be pretty straight forward to me.

No it doesn't really make sense. It's basically slander in the public arena. JetBlue doesn't employee these few security guards, Summit Security does. Plus, they don't really do any "guarding anyway". Basically they help people get on and off the shuttle bus that runs between our two terminals. In case you're not aware, the TSA is in charge of security at the airport. To suggest that we're skimping on security is ridiculous. They go on to prove their lack of concern for the truth by mentioning the Feb 14th ice storm as if these security guards had anything to do with that.

How about we come down to your terminal and investigate how much the food service workers are making? Probably just above minimum wage. How could your airline allow the health of it's customers to be entrusted to minimum wage workers? What else is your airline scrimping on?

Does that seem fair to you?

...Summit Security service to provide 80 security guards at the airport, who are paid just $20,000 a year, one ad claims, or “not enough to feed a family.”

Maby they should not have started a family in the first place.

No it doesn't really make sense. It's basically slander in the public arena. JetBlue doesn't employee these few security guards, Summit Security does.
Yes, but JetBlue employs Summit Security. Seems like fair game to me.
How about we come down to your terminal and investigate how much the food service workers are making? Probably just above minimum wage. How could your airline allow the health of it's customers to be entrusted to minimum wage workers? What else is your airline scrimping on?
Not analogous. My airline doesn't contract with the food service workers. The airport rents store space to vendors, which in turn employee the food service workers. JetBlue, on the other hand, does contract directly with summit. I'm not saying that my airline fairly pays everyone. In fact, I can guarantee that that's not the case. But I wouldn't complain if some union attacked them for it either. JetBlue pilots seem to always be spring-loaded to pounce whenever someone says the slightest negative thing about their airline. Relax. They aren't attacking you personally.

Yes, but JetBlue employs Summit Security. Seems like fair game to me. Not analogous. My airline doesn't contract with the food service workers. The airport rents store space to vendors, which in turn employee the food service workers. JetBlue, on the other hand, does contract directly with summit. I'm not saying that my airline fairly pays everyone. In fact, I can guarantee that that's not the case. But I wouldn't complain if some union attacked them for it either. JetBlue pilots seem to always be spring-loaded to pounce whenever someone says the slightest negative thing about their airline. Relax. They aren't attacking you personally.

And you seem to ignore the fact that you paid for you airline job and are now the holy roller for unionism in the biggest scab haven in the industry. Give it a rest.

Latest resources

Back