Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beechnut

Ndugu's Foster Dad
How are the short call reserve times determined at jetBlue?

Are they assigned daily?

Can you bid for certain predetermined times?

Can you request late starts or early starts? When are the times assigned? (Night before?)

Thanks,

S.

hmmm...good question. You don't know your times till about noon the day prior. I'm sure you could call and request a certain footprint. The assigning of short/long call also is done the day prior...no bidding on that either. But usually the first 2-3 days is long call and the latter short. But when the $hit is...or might hit the fan...or we're just short on reserves, then most of the long calls will be changed to short call.

As for days off, on RSV min is 12. You bid just like a lineholder would but unless your senior enough to hold a line (or specifically bid rsv) your bid will result in a RSV line being built for you. One of the requests they try to honor to Reserve Line holders is requested days off. Virtually all RSV lines are 12 days off (there might be an occasional exception for 13) but I never had it. Alot of pilots then PTO(Paid time off) at least one day and UTO(unpaid time off) another if staffing levels are at a certain level. They now have 14 days off. The reasoning there is you still accrue 4.5 hrs of PTO since most RSVists accrue it at 9hr/mo and the UTO doesnt affect the premium pay on a rsv line (5 hours, 70 reg + 5 at premium) if you UTO just one day.

The long call/short call usu helps your QOL if your relatively senior on RSV and staffing levels are good and no wx issues. One friend has a east coast commute, #2 on RSV in his seat and had 20 days at home last month.

Others can prob explain it better.

Last edited:
Long call gives you 14hr call out and short call is 2hrs. Like said before, you can bid for certain days off depending on how senior you are. You can changes days off using FLICA without talking to anyone. Depending on which base you are in you can fly alot or not at all. When I was in JFK I flew every day with 10-20hr of premium pay a month, now I dont fly, day 4 for me today and havn't flown yet but I home.

I haven't flown in over two weeks. I'd rather fly...I'm getting fat and bored in the pad. My 3 LCRs were turned to SCRs this week...6 days on my a$$.

I haven't flown in over two weeks. I'd rather fly...I'm getting fat and bored in the pad. My 3 LCRs were turned to SCRs this week...6 days on my a$$.

Ditto...

-Counselair

I just left JB in March and worked as a Reserve for a year. I never flew that much either. One thing I never understood was that JB never let me bid more than 6 days on. Now that I am back with the legacy I left, I can bid as many Reserve days as I wish and put my time off in large blocks. I think most commuters would prefer this. Any reasons why JB willl not allow this?

I just left JB in March and worked as a Reserve for a year. I never flew that much either. One thing I never understood was that JB never let me bid more than 6 days on. Now that I am back with the legacy I left, I can bid as many Reserve days as I wish and put my time off in large blocks. I think most commuters would prefer this. Any reasons why JB willl not allow this?

The 1 in 7 rule. Reserve is duty, even if you don't fly. Not sure what kind of reserve you have, maybe its some version of long call with right to refuse trips, etc, so you can manipulate one off in seven while at home, I don't know. But 7 reserve days in a row the way we do it here would be illegal.

I understand the 7 and 1 rule. I am on a domestic only aircraft (DC9) and I am currently on a 9 day stretch of Reserve days. As long as I have 24 hrs of rest in any 7 day period (whether at home or in the hotel) its legal. So I bid the maximum number of days I can and block my 11 days off as close as I can. It makes for some good quality of life issues if your a commuter. The scheduling committee should look into it.

Latest resources

Back