Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65@350

Hello there

My buddy applied to JetBlue about a month ago. He heard that they do like to see some A320/319 time. Does it really help THAT much? His totals are around 9000 TT, and 3300 A320/319 hours...and over the 1000 PIC etc. He might have up to two recs and that is all...will that be the killer, not having enough recs? How many does it take to get an interview? thanks so much for the info

Much has been posted regarding interview criteria at Jetblue. Anyone with more current info, feel free to correct me.
Letters of recommendation play no role in being selected for an interview, but may play some role if you move to phase II.
Airbus time, while not a requirement, will probably be looked at very favorably. It is the whole package that counts.

Remember that this is a personality recruiting process. I have seen a lot of grumbling on this board from some who feel that just having the hours is all that matters. The hours qualify you to apply. Your background and personality get you hired.

These are my opinions only.

Hope it helps.

Wow,

I guess these things are still floating around out there.
When he says "he heard" I'd like to know who he "heard" it from.
(when speaking of the A/B time).

It just isn't the case.

Simple reason, they don't want people to feel like it's the SWA procedure. You don't have to have the type rating. If you have an A/B type rating (which again, isn't something they want to see) they'd like to see time in type.
Many classes go with only a few folks having only some A/B time. More candidates than not have no experience in the aircraft.

As far as the inside referral:

It comes down to this: When Dean does his database search, 300 or so people usually come to the top of the list. This is where you set yourself apart from everyone else. You have to get your name to rise to the top of the database to even be considered. No inside connections are considered when the database selection is run. This database is something that can change but it involves a search for hours, type of hours, aircraft flown, education, etc. Pilots are then brought in to help the HR people finalize the 70-80 candidates we're interested in interviewing. This is where they look at your career progression from left to right seat. Were you an instructor pilot, aircraft commander, career first officer, check airman, chief pilot? What did you do to make yourself stand apart from the rest of the crowd. Finally, if there are 10 candidates left and only 2 interview slots to hand out and across the board all pilots are equal, those with the inside referral will get "the call" first. It happens exactly in this order.

Lots of people interview at JB who do not have an inside connection. I didn't know anyone at JB when I interviewed. I know this is a grey area, but we tried awfully hard to dispel that rumor this weekend. I'll keep working on it from my end.

Happy landings

An observation . . . .

If it's any help, I interviewed yesterday with JetBlue, and it was one of the most pleasant experiences in my professional life. Jointops is EXACTLY correct, and this was relayed to all of us in attendance. As an observation, when I was in the "safe" room waiting my turn to interview, Lanny asked for a show of hands from those that had 'Bus time, and only about half of the 30 or so guys in there raised their hands (most of them were former military, but I also saw several commuter and furloughed airline types, too, without Airbus experience.) It's obviously a plus, but NOT the only factor considered.

Good luck!

DL

Re: An observation . . . .

dlredline said:
If it's any help, I interviewed yesterday with JetBlue, and it was one of the most pleasant experiences in my professional life. Jointops is EXACTLY correct, and this was relayed to all of us in attendance. As an observation, when I was in the "safe" room waiting my turn to interview, Lanny asked for a show of hands from those that had 'Bus time, and only about half of the 30 or so guys in there raised their hands (most of them were former military, but I also saw several commuter and furloughed airline types, too, without Airbus experience.) It's obviously a plus, but NOT the only factor considered.

Good luck!

DL

dlredline,
Congrats on the interview. Now for the wait. When I went through in 2001, I waited from June 6, till Aug. 29 till I heard officially. I am not sure what the time line is now, but be patient... it is definately worth the wait!!!

Hopefully things will work out for you.

If you do get "the call", then be sure to put a post up here again and ask for some input on the training. It is all basically self study off the laptop, but you could have some limitations and perhaps some other light type study material passed your way...

Enjoy the summer!!

Hey Colorado,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been so spring-loaded toward this, and several friends at JetBlue have forwarded the limitations and profiles my way. Cart before the horse, for now. I can't wait to hear something. They said notice about Phase II will come in about a week, then if you're in, it'll take about 2 months to know the final decision, so it looks like the timeline is still about the same.

I was very impressed with the quality of guys/gals they had interviewing. Various backgrounds, definitely, but maybe a tad more military than any other, but that's just an observation on my part. Very professional group from JetBlue, and very much interested in each individual. I can't say enough how great a group this is. I wish the best for everyone there, and hope all of ya'll still waiting get the opportunity soon to interview with JetBlue.

Good Luck!

DL

Latest resources

Back