• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Pilot Plans Insanity Defense

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is there some discretion here on the part of the prosecution? Couldn't he just show evidence that for whatever reason he wasn't in his right mind and therefore a Federal trial isn't warranted? I'm not sure what the point is of spending lots of taxpayer dollars on this.

He had the bad luck of doing this on a slow news day.

Nu

I hope he gets the help he needs. I didn't mean throw him under the bus but he caused a huge disturbance interfering with crew members. You can't let him out on bail unless you can be sure he won't do it again. Do we have any proof of that? A pilot can not expect special treatment other citizens must obey. We as pilots are human and it is possible to have a mental breakdown as he did but we are not special and should be treated as anyone else that went out of control. Let him get treated for his mental breakdown before letting him back if he still has a problem.

It's easy enough to keep him off a plane. Add him to the TSA watch list, problem solved. He can't buy a ticket. I'm sure he's no longer in CASS.

Typical over-reaction by the Feds who, of course, are doing their best to keep us "safe". Completely headline driven. Really feel bad for the guy as this cannot have been his normal state of being. But to be pushed to the point of having to plead insanity is pretty ridiculous.

Typical over-reaction by the Feds who, of course, are doing their best to keep us "safe". Completely headline driven. Really feel bad for the guy as this cannot have been his normal state of being. But to be pushed to the point of having to plead insanity is pretty ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Were the Shoe or Underwear bombers given bail? Just because he has the same profession does not make it better. Ask yourself. If he called Allah his god or his skin were dark would you have the same empathy? No flame or trying to be insensitive. Just imagine if he was doing IOE with a new hire and there wasn't a commuting pilot in the back. Do you think any family member of the Egypt Air crash would have a take on this?

Ridiculous? Were the Shoe or Underwear bombers given bail? Just because he has the same profession does not make it better. Ask yourself. If he called Allah his god or his skin were dark would you have the same empathy? No flame or trying to be insensitive. Just imagine if he was doing IOE with a new hire and there wasn't a commuting pilot in the back. Do you think any family member of the Egypt Air crash would have a take on this?

Lumping him in with those guys, really? Those guys attended training camps in the destert to learn how to kill us. Are you really making that comparison?

Hey man, there are a lot of places you can have a mental break down with a lot less consequences.
Without knowing him, it's probably a sad story- but there are lots of things you can't do once.

Here's the question though- is interference with a flight crewmember, if you are also a flight crewmember, really treated the same as any passenger? Seems a bit odd- but probably the only thing they could hold him on without going the terrorist route.

Does loss of medical insurance have any exclusions if a 'crime' was committed? What I'm getting at is your homeowners insurance, personal liability umbrella and auto insurance has all kinds of loopholes if you commit a felony.

Lumping him in with those guys, really? Those guys attended training camps in the destert to learn how to kill us. Are you really making that comparison?

Me, personally no. But I'm sorry when the moment he "allegedly" went to move those levers to idle and said "we're going down," he is in the same ballpark as those other guys. This isn't just a bad day at work here bro, attempted murder over US airspace is serious stuff.

Latest resources

Back