• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

jetBlue pay rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On more question if any of you have the time... I was reading that jetBlue requires you to sign 5 year contract describing pay and working conditions, and that there were only 5 things that would cause that contract not to be renewed. A couple of questions... I understand that this is not a training contract that has a financial commitment, but is this contract the same for every pilot that gets hired? (I know of some foreign airlines that practice this, and change the conditions of the contract for every new hire class, depending on market conditions.) What are the 5 things? Also is this the method in which they assume seniority resignation? - having to honor the contract - or do they require a formal resignation letter? (Totally understandable in today's environment.) If it isn't privileged information, can it be posted?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm thoroughly enthused about the prospects for jetBlue, and am trying to intentionally temper that enthusiasm with all the facts.

Iceback:cool:

Okay, I probably went too far in asking for the contract to be posted. :eek:
Can anyone shed some light on what reserve is like? What time of day do you start on call, and how long you have from callout to make it to the airport? I've done the JFK commute thing in the past, and NY, the airports, traffic, crash pads or hotels add an interesting element to your day. How many months are new hires spending on reserve, do you fly much, and is there a minimum guarantee? Enquiring minds would like to know?:D

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

Iceback

Hi, Ice,

Reserve (or any duty) is 12 days a month off, minimum. Reserve guarantee is 75 hrs, which means 70 hrs base + 5 hrs premium pay (1.5 x base) = 77.5 hrs pay minimum. Two hr callout time. Scheduling tries to give you a late reserve (12n - 12m) on your first day, so commuting on your first day may be possible. They also try to schedule an early reserve (5am - 7pm) on your last day, again to commute out after an early release. They've sure been using reserves a lot, too, so expect to fly. New hires are on reserve for a month or two currently.

Jeff G

Anybody else notice Jeff G recently went from two types to three types in his profile????

Congratulations Captain Jeff!!!!!!

Thanks, JayDub, you're next! I'll expect your first official act will be to update your profile on this board... :D

Congrats to JayDub for recently displacing me as JetBlue's newest captain! And thanks especially for being junior to me and taking the pressure off on reserve... :D

Note: you have to update your profile now.

Congrats Jeff! Now I'm sure that pretty wife of yours will have an expanded shopping list!

You have shared tons of good stuff on the boards...let me again say thanks and best of luck in the left seat.

Iceback said:

I've been instructing on the A320 for about 3 years now for another major US carrier. I'm facing another layoff and I'm not convinced that long term, this company has the viability to make it in the new economy.

Iceback:

Many of US are coming to the same conclusion....guys in my new hire class from 1987 are starting to bail.

reepicheep -

Adapt or face extinction; unfortunately I don't see either side of the equation seriously addressing the problems at hand to make it on their own. I am way too junior, (after 13 years), to hope that the current entity remains in tact long enough for me to be folded into the sold/split up remnants. Sad, since I have always enjoyed the people I have worked with, especially in my current position.

Jeff G -

Congrats on the type and the upgrade. Sounds like you have a long an prosperous career ahead of you.

A quick question, if you don't mind. At my current employer, for circling approaches, we are limited to VFR or circling minimums, whichever are higher. Subsequently my A320 type has a limitation of "circling VMC only". Someone in Oak City woke up about 3-4 years ago, and is requiring this to be added to all types where a circling approach to minimums is not demonstrated during the type ride. Our corporation made the decision not to include this in the training syllabus and type evaluation, since it was not authorized in our ops specs. I know that most carriers choose not to circle lower than VFR... is this the case at B6? And is your newly anointed type issued with the same limitation? If not, I can get the limitation removed, but I will have to drop a few bucks to do so. (The company would not be too keen on me using up free sim time for personal gain, so I would have to go through contract training). I don't want it to be a limiting factor during an interview... if I'm fortunate enough to get called.

Thanks,
Iceback

Latest resources

Back