• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue or UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yeah, businesses and people are gonna stop shipping stuff someday so you cargo pilots watch out. besides, why ship stuff when you can fly and deliver it in person on jb or a ding fare at swa. that's how we will take down the box boys! genious!

I'm not going to try to forecast the future of freight pilots, but the future of freight pilots is not completely tied to the success of freight hauling. While the barriers to entry in the freight business are currently higher than the passenger business, it only takes a small paradigm shift to change all that.
As for the cargo business for passenger airlines, United is spooling back up their freight ops. Don't be surprised to see freighters flying around with United Airlines on the side of them again. I'm sure that other airlines are doing the same.

ala NWA freight,amigos tell me its the best gig in the company

How did United finance the majority of its exit financing? I have heard they used a lot of debt financing vs. equity financing. A lot of airline managment think that is crazy and don't know what United was thinking.

Now United seems to be desperate to merge or be sold (i.e., attract new financing without losing face). Doesn't sound like a company that is confident in its business plan.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=UAUA

Take a look yourself. Don't rely on rumor when you can get the real info so easily.

Total Debt 11.32B
Total Debt/Equity :4.947

CAL has less debt but THEIR Debt to Equity ratio is around 9. And the book value per share is 19 at UAL vs. 6.5 at CAL. (UAL has about 110 mil shrs oustanding vs. 90 mil at CAL)

Desperate is not a word I would use. UAL might be getting ready to work an equity issue and swap during a merger.

Fidelity bought a bunch of shares when they came on the market too.

Last edited:
These are the type of questions you should be asking. My advice: do your own homework (far beyond starting a thread on flightinfo). After I turned down SWA in 2000 to go to UAL, only to be furloughed in '03, I was consoled by many pilots with statements like "You made the best decision at the time" or "Hey, no one could have known what would happen at UAL." It seemed like the only one not surprised was my dad, who wondered aloud to me when I started at UAL how a company with such a sick balance sheet could even be in business. Of course I listened instead to all of my fellow pilot buddies and their stories of 3 year upgrades, widebodies going to new hires, etc.

Thanks for relating the story. I'm very sorry about the dramatic twists and turns but I'm hoping for a happy ending when you return to UAL.

One of the best posts I've seen here. Everyone should read and heed.

If you have any shot, pursue the package carriers.

Fedex and UPS are the only sensible game in town.

Totally agree with this...however, I wonder if there are studies on life expectancy after retirement considering the circadien cycle disruptions?

You will certainly be rich flying for freight carriers compared to pax carriers, but your widow will be REALLY rich!

How long to hold JUST day flying? UPS? FEDEX? How bout when you upgrade...how senior is day flying?

Our MEC is VERY junior but you knew that right? As far as rates, although pathetic compared too where we were, your kidding me right comparing it to your 190 rates?

Koko

I am absolutely ashamed of our pay rates on the 190. I can't defend that but I was simply referring to where United once was. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And yes I know all about the juniority of our MEC (yes, furloughed/bypassed).

Sonny:

If you are so sure about this letter.....produce it!

Don't give me any hockey about how it is privileged information....if it was sent to the ALPA MEC at UAL....it would be on the internet in a second considering how much you all loved her over there.

I still say BS on this one.

A350
Agreed!

I am absolutely ashamed of our pay rates on the 190. I can't defend that but I was simply referring to where United once was. Sorry for the misunderstanding. And yes I know all about the juniority of our MEC (yes, furloughed/bypassed).

JB190 thank you for the clarification. And good luck with your decision.

Koko

Who cares? Either way, you get to fly a jet for a living. Where you go makes no difference because you're always one dip$******************** manager from going down the drain. Every newhire at Peoples, Eastern, PanAm, TWA, and Mesa (not) thought that they would retire from a great outfit. Go where your QOL will be the best because money always is relative. Remember how United, Delta, NWA, etc. used to scoff at SWA for dragging down industry wages? $190/hr on a B737 looks pretty sweet right now, eh? Pick one company, stick with it, save $$$, start a business, and stop accumulating ex-wives and you'll be OK in this industry. Other than that...JetBlue. ;)

Latest resources

Back