JetBlue made good this quarter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Longhorn said:
Wow...a month old thread comes back to life. Have'nt be beat this to death.
Longhorn,

Actually I haven’t seen this discussed at all in this thread. I looked and posted here instead of starting a new thread only to have someone complain about that. The reason I bring it up is because I have “heard” the following many times and was just told about it again yesterday (I have no idea if it’s true!):
  • Airbus gave JBLU a sweetheart deal on the aircraft, specifically the financing package (back-loaded payments) and a very generous warranty period (ie..nearly all mx covered the first 5 years as part of purchase agreement).
  • When the warranties start to wane the maintenance costs will skyrocket as the planes reach 5 years old. JBLU will really see the costs go up as over 40% of the fleet warranty expires.
I’m just curious if these statements/predictions are starting to materialize or if it is just coincidental. The statement on future significant increases in maintenance costs does give these predictions some credibility as several more aircraft are starting to reach 5 years on property. I’m just curious where the truth lies. I’m not wishing ill will on JBLU as I’m sure I’ll be accused of. I’m just trying to surface some answers to some questions/rumors.

I’m sure some idiots will give some sarcastic answers like AIRBUS GAVE THEM THE JETS FOR FREE or AIRBUS PAYS FOR ALL MAINTENANCE… I’m not sure why these people are so defensive. Maybe they could explain.

My question is: Why the sudden increase in mx costs and company forecasts of further significant increases in maintenance costs? This could shed some light on JBLU’s ability to undercut the competition on fares and previous cost advantages--extremely low CASM JBLU has historically had. I’m sure it’s not all from cheaper labor. This info will be very relevant going foreward.

My question is: Why the sudden increase in mx costs and company forecasts of further significant increases in maintenance costs?

It's called guidance and legal speak for analysts modeling.

Many of our aircraft are beginning to be switched from factory warranty to pay-as we break-'em and finally to power-by-the-hour.

I very much doubt anyone who covers this sector is thinking this is '"sudden". We have been talking about this over the past 2 years (at least as long as I have been tracking).

Hoop-on-down to the local library and use "ProQuest" and pull up the past X-years worth of Qtrly conference call transcripts and read up on it.

Must watch football...

Later…:beer:

What snoop said. Also, the costs go up as we grow. Our cost for MX at our current number of aircraft plus the ac that we take next year and so on will be higher then it is now with our current fleet. The cost of MX will be higher with 200, then 400 aircraft then they are now. We will also have the income coming in from the revenue gererated with the new planes. Just because our mx cost go up does not mean anything bad at all. The cost will also go up as the aircraft get older, just like everyone else but the fleets will be growing as well.

Snoopy Mendoza said:
Many of our aircraft are beginning to be switched from factory warranty to pay-as we break-'em and finally to power-by-the-hour.

Later…:beer:
Thanks Snoop... That helps answer some of the exponential increase in costs.

Longhorn,

We are talking costs on a CASM basis. New aircraft should bring this down, not up. The mx CASM increases are huge. Expiring warranties is likely the primary driver. This would mean the honeymoon is over and start putting JBLU on equal footing in the mx cost arena with the competition.

Back to football...Have a great weekend!
Schwanker

Schwanker, what in the world would make you believe we are not "on equal footing" right now? The Legacies have the lowest recent historical costs they've ever experienced, the cost of fuel is the highest, the amount of competition is greatest, and the ticket prices have only shown in increase over the past quarter or so. What supposed "advantage" do we have? I would say that the "footing" is more equal now then ever before. It is unfortunate that we didn't start getting 100 seat airplanes when some of these things didn't exist, then we might have an advantage. But, in this stage of the game, it is extremely difficult for us to compete and expect record profits. Don't misunderstand me, I do think JetBlue will be just fine, because I believe the costs of the other carriers can only increase from here. I believe our costs, overall costs related to CASM will decrease. We are still growing into our shoes.....infrastrucure. We'll wait and see.

CD

curtaindriver said:
Schwanker, what in the world would make you believe we are not "on equal footing" right now? The Legacies have the lowest recent historical costs they've ever experienced, the cost of fuel is the highest, the amount of competition is greatest, and the ticket prices have only shown in increase over the past quarter or so. What supposed "advantage" do we have? I would say that the "footing" is more equal now then ever before. It is unfortunate that we didn't start getting 100 seat airplanes when some of these things didn't exist, then we might have an advantage. But, in this stage of the game, it is extremely difficult for us to compete and expect record profits. Don't misunderstand me, I do think JetBlue will be just fine, because I believe the costs of the other carriers can only increase from here. I believe our costs, overall costs related to CASM will decrease. We are still growing into our shoes.....infrastrucure. We'll wait and see.

CD
How you doing Curtaindriver? Breathe.....Breathe.....

With respect to "equal footing" I was simply refering to maintenance costs on a CASM basis. Historically JBLU has had very low costs in this area, as well as overall costs. Now JBLU's maintenance costs are escalating to match the legacies on a CASM basis with an upward trend-per the 10Q.

I certainly didn't mean to get you all wound up. Have a good one!

J32driver said:
Ha! Thats good.

Reality check for the Voodoo priest that brought this thread back to life:

It costs more to perform maintenance on 120 airplanes than it did on 100 airplanes. Its going to cost even more to do maintenance on 200 airplanes than what it does for 120. And if you think thats rough.... just wait until we get to 400 planes and see how much the maintenance costs then.
J32driver,

What does CASM mean??? Hint: It's not in the dictionary!

Ahhh..my bad. Thought you were discussing something else.

back to the ND game

costs

Jb is fighting an uphill battle and yes as the company grows and more planes age costs will go up. The most important factor is how lean we can remain while growing out our route structure.

JB has some incredible costs right now while adding cities, integrating the 190 as more planes are delivered, and dealing with congestion and inefficiencies while the new terminal is being built.

We have approximately 50 cities we need at least 100 and more like 150 to connect the dots and draw the passengers with an extensive route structure.. We are positioned to do that.

Jb in my opinion has the best domestic product out there and we are positioned to be successful long into the future as long as we continue what we are doing.

Jb might not be perfect but this is a great company with great people..

Schwanker said:
How you doing Curtaindriver? Breathe.....Breathe.....
Schwanker said:

With respect to "equal footing" I was simply refering to maintenance costs on a CASM basis. Historically JBLU has had very low costs in this area, as well as overall costs. Now JBLU's maintenance costs are escalating to match the legacies on a CASM basis with an upward trend-per the 10Q.

I certainly didn't mean to get you all wound up. Have a good one!

I am not sure why you think I'm wound up, I never get wound up. Our mx costs are definetely increasing, and will for some time as the relationship between expiring warranties versus size of the fleet begins to right itself. It's a difficult transition, obviously one that was planned for....nothwithstanding the fact that the current market is more difficult than planned. i.e. oil, bankruptcies, hurricanes, etc. Oh and by the way, I didn't view your post as flame, but a good question. Have a good one as well. Thanks.

CD

Latest resources

Back