• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue Emergency tonight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everything I have hit and almost hit has either not reacted at all or diven, regardless of size. The bigest I hit was a condor over the Amazon and it may have been bigger than me. I still don't know if it was African or Eurpoean - it carried no ID.

Diven?

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for diven,:
1. divan
2. dildo
3. divine
4. doven
5. Divine
6. daven
7. dived
8. Dives
9. divans
10. Dvina
11. diver
12. dives

wine and flight info - I gotta stop...flightinfo anyway

501261 said:
Reluctant to declare an emergency? What an idiot! If there's a question call it.

On the subject of radars and birds. I'm sure scientifically it can be proven that birds can't "hear" radar, but you know what, it doesn't cost anything to turn it on before takeoff or landing. So on line up and final I'll flip the old radar on, just in case that old wives tale has any possibility of truth to it.

It’s not like we can ask the birds, “Hey can you ‘hear’ this?” Who knows having the radar on today might have kept me from hitting a bird today.
"tower, 501261 we have an emergency."

"roger 501261, state the nature of your emergency"

"we've just struck a bird on approach and I don't know anyone at this airport who can wash the plane for me."

I hate to see people second guessing a crew when they weren't on the flight deck and clearly don't have all the facts. Although declaring an emergency might not be necessary in some peoples minds I can't fault the crew for doing it. An additional benefit of declaring an emergency in that situation is some assurance of prioritized handling for the approach and landing. If I'm on an approach when something like that happens I don't want to be pulled off it for any reason. If the controller screws up the spacing thay can send the aircraft in front of me around. I don't want to make any unnecessary configuration or power changes. If the gear was down during the strike I don't want to raise the gear, etc. Essentially I'm flying an unairworthy aircraft since the birdstrike inspection and paperwork won't be complete until sometime after I've landed. Why should I keep it in the air any loinger than necessary?
Finally, has anyone ever been violated for declaring an emergency?

just an idea of damage potential.
buddy of mine was on final at BUF in an e110, final in that thing is 120. slower even over the fence, he hit a Goose at that point. a big friggin Goose. put a big hole in the leading edge, guts hangin out. looked disgusting. had to replace the leading edge of the inboard section, but remember that was just a slow landing, imagine moving faster than that, accelerating and then hitting a few of em? no question about going back to have it checked. no question that they could have definitely holed/bent/broken several things.

hmmm,

FAR 91.13 comes into mind...

"Careless or reckless operation" ~ pressing on after a bird strike...yeah, I think it fits.

Recent bird strike

NTSB Identification: NYC03FA190
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of American Airlines
Accident occurred Thursday, September 04, 2003 in Flushing, NY
Aircraft: Fokker F.28 Mk 0100, registration: N1450A
Injuries: 38 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On September 4, 2003, at 0624 eastern daylight time, a Fokker F.28 Mk 0100, N1450A, operated by American Airlines as flight 549, was substantially damaged during the initial climb after takeoff from La Guardia Airport (LGA), Flushing, New York. There were no injuries to the 2 certificated airline transport pilots, 2 flight attendants, or 34 passengers. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the scheduled, domestic passenger flight, destined for Midway Airport (MDW), Chicago, Illinois. The flight was conducted on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan under 14 CFR Part 121.

The flightcrew reported that the airplane flew through a flock of birds shortly after takeoff. They experienced a vibration in the right engine, and were unable to shut it down by use of the fuel cutoff lever. The fire handle was then pulled, and a fire extinguisher bottle was fired. The engine shut down; however, the vibration continued. The flightcrew diverted the flight to John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), where it landed uneventfully. After landing and being examined maintenance personnel, the airplane taxied to a gate where the passengers deplaned through the jetway.

Examination of the airplane revealed a 20 by 36-inch wide depression on the right side of the nose, behind the radome. The maximum depth of the depression was between 3 and 4 inches. Stringers in the depressed area were deformed and cracked.

Impact marks were found on the right wing at 15 and 18 feet outboard from the fuselage. There was no visible damage to the wings. Splattered blood was visible on the right side wing root.

The airplane was equipped with 2 Rolls Royce Tay 650-15 engines. The right engine cowl ring was splattered with blood. The fan disk could be rotated with finger tip pressure. One fan blade was separated from the fan disk at the root. The remaining fan blades were deformed, and had received leading edge impact damage. The containment ring for the fan was penetrated with a 9 inch by 2 inch hole. Additional holes were found in the engine cowling forward of the containment ring.

There was an "L" shaped penetration of the fuselage, which started 6 inches above the top of the aft window on the right side. The penetration moved upward for 7 inches and was about 2-3/8 inches wide. The underlying insulation and plastic side panel were not penetrated. The blade that penetrated the fuselage was not recovered.

In the cockpit, the right engine fire handle was found pulled, and the right engine fuel cutoff lever was in the mid-range position. When checked, the fuel cutoff lever would not go to the idle-cutoff position. Further examination revealed that the low pressure shaft failure system had activated on the engine.

The engine, cockpit voice recorder, and flight data recorder were retained for further examination. In addition, feathers which were recovered from the engine and airframe were also retained for further examination.

Latest resources

Back