JetBlue Brazil? New Airline Formed by Dave Neelman in Brazil

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

I wonder if JB pilots will get preferential hiring at the Brazilian airline? What about Cape Air pilots? Read below:

Report: JetBlue's founder wants to start Brazilian airline, buy 36 Embraer jets

By ALAN CLENDENNING updated 1 hour

SAO PAULO, Brazil - The founder of JetBlue Airways wants to start a new Brazilian airline and is in negotiations with Brazil's Embraer plane maker to buy 36 mid-range jets, a leading Brazilian newspaper reported Tuesday. David Neeleman, JetBlue's chairman, has lined up investment totaling about US$200 million (??138 million) for the venture, the O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported.

The newspaper, citing sources close to the deal, said Neeleman has already bought a small Brazilian airline named Cheta with government authorization to operate in Latin America's largest nation. Messages left for Neeleman and Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica SA seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Neeleman was ousted as chief executive of JetBlue Airways Corp. last year after the low-fare airline was gridlocked following a U.S. ice storm that created problems for the carrier's policy of not canceling flights ahead of bad weather. Thousands of people were trapped on planes for hours or stranded in terminals for days. Because Neeleman holds both American and Brazilian citizenship, he would be able to overcome a major hurdle: A requirement that only 20 percent of Brazilian airlines can be owned by foreigners or foreign companies.

JetBlue uses Embraer planes in the United States, and Neeleman helped the Brazilian plane maker by placing the first large orders of its mid-range jets by an American airline. He was born in Brazil and speaks fluent Portuguese. The entry of a new carrier in Brazil would mark the first major competition for Brazilian market leaders TAM Linhas Aereas SA and Gol Linhas Aereas Intelligentes SA in several years, following the collapse former Brazilian flagship carrier Varig under a mountain of debt. Varig's passenger flight operations were sold to Gol, which sharply trimmed Varig's operations.

cool, maybe we'll get some good pass privleges to get to Rio...

I saw where some holding co bought like 36 embraers last week down there. maybe that has something to do w it. Either way, sounds like DN's involvement w this is free and clear of JB.

I read that Neeleman admits to having Attention Deficit Disorder - he can't focus on one initiative at a time. Well, it certainly has worked out financially for him in the past... Too bad he doesn't have Chinese or Indian citizenship as well. Brazil is actually a great market to enter now given its population growth and Varig's recent problems.

Varig is back on the rise by the way, they should be back in JFK by the end of the year. It looks like he has his hand in the Varig somehow. 'Cheta' is an operating certificate. (Certificado de Homologacao de Empresa de Transporte Aereo.)

My guess is a feeder for new Varig, any other guesses or knowledge of this?

cool, maybe we'll get some good pass privleges to get to Rio...

Oh Yea...Brazil. I cant wait....OH!!! Wait a second, I am not allowed..my friends would shoot me!

Latest resources

Back