• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue application window

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Couldn't find another appropriate place to attach this so I'll put it here.

I admit to being John Godfrey Saxe's 7th man with the elephant [ http://wordinfo.info/unit/1?letter=B&spage=3 ] but I have to ask the JB folks who stop in here occasionally if they understand how the guy who posted the statement below has not gotten so much as a nibble from JB. I took it from another website where networking for an interview was the topic. I don't know the guy.

He's seriously qualified. So,does JB have so many zillions of apps that this guy could blend into the common herd and go unnoticed ? No one in the Head Shed saw his app and thought they might like to trot the guy out and sniff at him ?

If you folks are in such good shape pilot wise, why are you up to Gateway 7 ? Not a criticism...I say again, not a criticism...just a question. Airline management moves in mysterious ways...

"Great advice but I have personally given up on networking. I think there are a few great stories like this one but for most of us networking seems to not be as effective as it was years ago. I did everything imaginable to get a call at JB since it has always been my dream airline for as long as I can remember. I've read all the blue books several times (love the story), dumped all my cash into the stock years ago, stopped by the headquarters on my days off, have 4 LOR's from JB pilots and 1 is from a B6 CKA that is a family friend who personally knew the recruiter I spoke with at a job fair.

I've applied to 6 consecutive windows, no skeletons, humble attitude, volunteer work, previous regional pilot/recruiter, PIC A320 & 170/190 types with thousands of SIC in type, paid for resume review, no failures and a MBA. I've put all my previous networking efforts into JB and up until recently I may have been one of the few pilots left with a JB app to have never applied to any legacy. I've had conversations with other pilots and feel I was the only soul alive who would happily turn down any legacy offer if given a B6 CJO on the same day.

Now I'm waiting for captain class on the airbus for one of the LCC's wondering if networking really works. I've only had 3 aviation interviews and I recieved the job with all 3 with no networking. I'm sure I will get flamed here for this post especially here on JC but I'm just keeping it real. I'm happy for all those who have had success with networking and I believe it is better vs no networking but I feel it is highly overrated. Just my 2 cents."

Gateway 7 is the brainchild/abortion of one Warren Christie and his protege, the UAL diversity hire who has been shuttled out the door to manage the tech startup as a means of keeping $$$ off the balance sheet while in contract negotiations.

The union opposes it, the pilots oppose it, flight ops mgmt quietly opposes it, training standards opposes it...so, yeah. It's not really "our" program.

Bafanguy, the guy is seriously over-qualified. JB figures he'd be out the door as soon as a legacy called, no matter what he says in the interview. I mean, why the hell would he want to stay at JB if DL called? What makes him think B6 is better than the LCC he's already at?
If he had 6,000 hours, no PIC, and lived in Boston, he would have a much better shot.
He'd take JB over DL if both called? His medical is in jeopardy!

oldxfr8dog,

Thanks. That potential wrinkle is certainly there. But, the guy just might be telling the truth about his aspirations. I've heard people say they aren't terribly interested in working for a big legacy...different strokes and all. We'll never know about the guy I mentioned.

And, DL (AA, UAL) would actually have to call...and then he'd actually have to survive the interview. Big "ifs" there. :)

Just as a P.S. to the discussion of someone potentially cutting & running from JB to a legacy and that being a stumbling block to getting hired: as an example, JB has a formal arrangement with XJT to take XJT pilots under what's called the Advanced Gateway.

And, JB in fact hired 48 XJT pilots in 2014 and 71 in 2015. Yet, DL, AA, and UAL have hired XJT pilots directly, and in substantial numbers, since the big hiring push began in 2014 indicating they're legacy bait as is.

Not sure what that info means for the idea of "cut & run" being an influence on JB's hiring mindset. Airline hiring is a mysterious, fluxy kinda thing. But, the XJT situation seems to indicate JB isn't totally averse to experienced people who might have the chance to leave for a legacy.

Just thinkin' out loud...that's all.

Last edited:
And furthermore...:laugh:...

The JB hopeful I wrote/asked about said this: "Now I'm waiting for captain class on the airbus for one of the LCC's...".

So why would someone leave an impending A320 captain upgrade at [guessing Spirit, VA, Frontier ?] to start over at the bottom of JB's seniority list if he intended to use JB as a steppingstone to the Big Three ?

Sounds more and more like JB shoulda been all over this guy by now.

I should be a Life Coach and get money for all this "wisdom and insight". :D

I didn't know about the XJT connection, thanks.
As to your friend, why the heck would he/she choose a bottom-feeder over a carrier such as DL? Did they buy the BS about "culture"?
Why? I really don't get it. To be honest though, I have met many with those low expectations.

oldxfr8dog,

I don't know the guy whose statement I published. I just stumbled across it elsewhere, sympathized with his frustration and wondered why, when JB is gearing up for zero timers, a guy like that can't get a nibble. Just idle curiosity...that's all.

It's a puzzle...

Lot and lots of candidates out there, I guess.

. I did everything imaginable to get a call at JB since it has always been my dream airline for as long as I can remember."[/QUOTE said:
I call BS on this. You are telling me 16 years is as long as you can remember. Even when JB had 10 airplanes and little chance in hell surviveing, and when they paid 190 Capts $80/Hr JB was your dream airline. Come on man. Lie to the hiring committee. You don't need to lie on the internet to make your story sound better.

Latest resources

Back