Jet engines and your health

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TonyC said:
I've been wondering when this discussion might take a turn in the direction of the jet inlet.

Should someone publish the warning in advance of the question?

Well, if unaswered makes it through my propellor and manages to become separated from the inlet airflow by the inertial separator, I think most of his questions will be answered...so at least he'll have that going for him.

Goose Egg said:
Been standin' behind a lot of jets lately, eh Unanswerd?

I'd say that a safe distance to stand behind a jet would be however far it takes to keep from getting blown over. As a general rule, most of us avoid standing directly behind aircraft with engines running as it is a rather hot, windy, noisy, smelly, and altogether uncomfortable place to be. This practice of avoiding dangerous and uncomfortable areas is often referred to as "common sense." You may have heard of this before. Unfortunately, common sense is neglected in certain circles. If I were king of aviation, every student would have to demonstrate common sense as a part of their medical examination, but it obviously doesn't always work that way.

I trust that this has been an informative post, although I strongly suspect you could have come up with this information on your own.

-Goose

Pompous Shmuck.

Yeah, it's been an informative thread. Even avbug gave good insight without bashing. The question arose, because yesterday I was walking torward the FBO, and a jet was taxiing like right near me.

i once made the mistake of sticking my head right into the jet exhaust, as in a matter of less than a foot from a running engine while i was unplugging a ground power unit from a lear after they started up with it. I'm still alive though...........

Goose Egg said:
I trust that this has been an informative post, although I strongly suspect you could have come up with this information on your own.

No doubt, Goose Egg. Of course, I'm sure the same appies to every other question posted on this forum by other members. The forum is but one resource. Despite what many people contest, I do use other resources.

Used to be behind many jets on the flight deck of the USS Kitty Hawk when I was in the Navy, can be comforting at times when the temps are low. About the only way to get warm up there.

avbug said:
Already mentioned that, I believe.
You did. I was thinking more along the lines of "How close can I get..." questions, but I was being intentionally vague so as to not be responsible for giving anybody any ideas. I guess sometimes I should wonder to myself instead of wondering "out loud." :)

a trivia question...

I know we are talking about exhaust, but I thought of a question related to the intake. We all know the danger zones around an idling jet on the ramp. Does anyone know how big the forward "suck zone" would be on an engine that is at a high setting, say for a static test or at full power on a test stand. How far away does the proverbial penny on the pavement have to be to stay clear of an engine at full power? Just wondering. Any engineers out there?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back