Jet direct

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pat,

You've "been" in management...in aviation? If you believe that pilots are going to give a years notice, you're halucinating. I would ask you to look back and try to remember if anyone you know has ever given their boss one year's notice...that alone is suicide.

If you want someone to invest in you with a type rating, then memorialize it with a piece of paper and a signature. If "honesty" is so easy to come by, then certainly there would be no problem signing. Unfortunately, too many bad apples have ruined it for people. Remember, companies create policy to address larger groups...if it was just a couple guys/gals, there likely wouldn't be a problem and you could go on your honesty method.

Nope not aviation...and that's the problem. I looked at it from a different perspective. I never signed a contract for any of my types. Don't think I ever would. And I don't think I mentioned giving a year's notice. What I meant, was if you give me a type rating, I'm staying on board for at least a year and hopefully more. I'd never give anything more than a few weeks' notice. More than that the rape begins. I've seen that too many times and I don't own stock in Johnson & Johnson.

I've been in management and its called honesty. Its not hard to ask the person to give the company a year if given a type rating. There are never and "guaranty's" in aviation. EVER. Except change. If someone isn't going to have the decency of giving a year (unless everything they were told is a farse), then the company hasn't lost anything.

Well, I agree with you 100%, and in a world where everyone could be trusted, that would be fine. But we both know that people do not always live up to their word. And a company does not know you from Adam........So what would be your sugestion for them to do if you had your own company, knowing that if they did not keep their word, it was going to come out of your pocket.

Unfortunately, I would never be allowed to be in charge of a charter company because of my work ethics. I don't say that to be a jerk, either. I simply feel that running a company and managing a company are completely different. If I had my own company? Well, lets say I'd start off by offering a better work environment that would elicit growth instead of attrition and build from there. Believe in your employees first. They won't want to leave. Invest and hopefully profit.

But that's rose colored glasses, man. It'd probably never happen.

Nope not aviation...and that's the problem. I looked at it from a different perspective. I never signed a contract for any of my types. Don't think I ever would. And I don't think I mentioned giving a year's notice. What I meant, was if you give me a type rating, I'm staying on board for at least a year and hopefully more. I'd never give anything more than a few weeks' notice. More than that the rape begins. I've seen that too many times and I don't own stock in Johnson & Johnson.

I commend you for the fact that you are willing to live up to your word, but that is not a common trait. A company does not have the ability to get to know someone well enough through just a few interviews to know if they are going to live up to their word. The flip side to this is that many of your larger companies require a contract and pilots still don't live up to what they put on paper because they know its usually not enforcable.

Does that mean I can use you as a reference on my next job interview?!?!!

And Iam3rd...among other things I've learned in aviation is that loyalty is something rarely found, if ever. Its unfortunate, but true. And I won't bore anyone else with my views on the downturn of integrity in the last 30 years.

Last edited:
Does that mean I can use you as a reference on my next job interview?!?!!

And Iam3rd...among other things I've learned in aviation is that loyalty is something rarely found, if ever. Its unfortunate, but true. And I won't bore anyone else with my views on the downturn of integrity in the last 30 years.

I agree with you 100%..... and I think all parties involved are at fault. Mgmt./Owners are more loyal to the bottom line at the expense of QOL. Unions then develop a wedge between mgmt and workforce...it becomes a battle between the two.

Aside from all that, individuals are always quick to jump ship as soon as the going gets tough or when another job comes along that pays $50 more annually.

Wrong Thread

No offense fellas but there are plenty of threads out there to chat ethics, morality, and how those intertwine with aviation. This thread has fizzled away from the point. Information on what Jet Direct is doing. How the many companies JD has gobbled up are dealing with the changes that are being implemented.

Ahh...you are correct, however the thread died on 4/7 until the post began yesterday. It just happened that no one had anything else to say about JD...we just diverged a tad. Is this your "I told you so" profile?

Latest resources

Back