• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

i-no longer

I just got the info on training. I know the hotel will take care of transportation to/from training and that the grocery store is on a bus line. Could I get opinions as to whether it would be worth a 2 day drive to have a car down there? Thanks in advance for any opinions!

Just depends on how much looking around the area you want to do when you have the time. Plenty of food places right around the motel to eat, however, but can't confirm the locale of a grocery store. If you think you want to enjoy some of the area attractions, drive down. Otherwise, stay home with the family an extra day. Enjoy training!

Dont drive fly.
Usually there are muliple classmates with cars.
If not share a rental car.

I would highly recommend driving. The shuttle bus that takes you to class every morning runs on a fixed schedule that may not fit yours. It's nice, especially when you get into the CPT and SIM to have your own car. It's also nice to be able to head to the grocery store, gym, haircut etc...

I drove 16 hours and thought it was well worth it. Best of luck in training.

MD80DRVR said:
I would highly recommend driving. The shuttle bus that takes you to class every morning runs on a fixed schedule that may not fit yours. It's nice, especially when you get into the CPT and SIM to have your own car. It's also nice to be able to head to the grocery store, gym, haircut etc...

I drove 16 hours and thought it was well worth it. Best of luck in training.

I agree. I drove and don't regret it one bit (about 900 miles one way). I'm too old to be having roomates, bumming rides and catching the bus. Besides, I was reimbursed mileage that more than paid for my gas and a hotel room for the drive. There was plenty of time after training to get my car back home. MD80DRVR is spot on when he talks about the SIMs and CPTs. If you get one of those late night/early morning slots the van transportation can be a pain. It'll get you there, but it's inconvenient. Over the course of the training having your own car will save you hours of time that could be better spent sleeping, drinking beer or (God forbid) studying. I wouldn't drive from the left coast, but if you can do it in a day or a day and a half I'd strongly recommend taking your wheels.

Good luck in training.

Last edited:
All good points. I just finished upgrade in orlando and I had my car. (I only live 2 hours away) But there were plenty with cars that were willing to help others get to the airport at odd hours, grocery store, universal city walk for fun etc. There is a publix about 2 miles away, there is also plenty of resteraunts nearby. The cafe at the training center has good food for lunch as well but they close at 3pm. If you need any other info just PM me and I will help in any way possible. If you can avoid driving 2 days I would avoid it. But if you have to have you car then what can you do? I was always happy to loan my car out and shuttle people around, but thats just me.

I just spent the last 6 weeks in Orlando. Don't drive, it isn't worth the 2 days. I would say if you can drive to Orlando in 8 hours or less, do it. If you don't drive you will have multiple classmates that would be willing to accept your gas money.

As stated previously, unless you plan on leaving campus frequently, there is no need to have a vehicle. Plenty of restaurants nearby for food and the shuttle runs regularly between the hotels, training center, and airport. I would save the gas money for your crashpad up in JFK ;) Again just my opinion. Good luck with training!

Rental cars are really cheap in Orlando as well. Even if you rent one several times - it will cost less than a two day drive each way.

JMO

thruthemurk said:
Rental cars are really cheap in Orlando as well. Even if you rent one several times - it will cost less than a two day drive each way.

JMO

With the cost of gas and hotels coming and going... you could rent a car at least one day a week during training don't you think?

More if you get a couple of guys to share?

FWIW...

Good luck in training..
Pace yourself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back