Jet Blue Hiring Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CRJ,
Well, speaking from what I have seen, ( I got hired in May) alot of the classes that I have seen are roughly 50/50. The problem for civ guys (that don't have A320 time) is that they are heavily weighted to those with A320 time. In my class it was either guys with no mil time but prior A320 time or at least some mil time. Although, I did have a friend of mine interview in Dec that was all civ, no A320, so it might be changing now (no word yet on whether he got hired or not). From what I have seen, they have really changed their preferences over the past year or so. I understand that about a year before I got hired, almost no mil guys got in, and it was mostly commuter folks, or mil with 121 experience. It's tough to say what it will be in a year. As for applying before you have the mins, I don't think the app. website will even let you do it. Give it a try though, and if it takes, it takes.

Retirement Planning

Lifter: I think the reason some guys question your preparation is because it usually takes many weeks, often many months, and occasionally years to get an interview AFTER you have applied. In other words, it would have been preferable to have gotten your ratings squared away and apps in at least year before your retirement.

Having said that, I would still retire now, because you never know when an opening will occur and you NEED to be available for the earliest class date you can get. Any airline pilot will tell you that their seniority number dictates everything about their quality of life after they get on with an airline. I don't think being current in an aircraft is as important now days because the only folks hiring don't seem to require currency (JetBlue a notable exception).

3 years is a long time and things will hopefully get better in the economy and in the airline industry. Even if it takes you a year (optimistic or pessimistic, your choice) to get hired, you will enjoy 2 extra years as a Captain (you must think of those 2 years as being added to the end of your second career) and those are going to pay a lot more than 2 more years on Active Duty minus the 35-40% you'd make anyway by retiring. (I realize its 50% of base pay, but I'm deducting for the loss of allowances and flight pay).

If your goal is to be an airline pilot, your not getting any younger and you need to get out of the military and jump into the shark filled waters of the real world. If you like your job and are comfortable with the military lifestyle, can't afford the temporary paycut, or aren't really that thrilled with the idea of being an airline pilot well then there really isn't much of a decision to make, stay in and increase your eventual retirement annuity.

I retired in June last year and had applied to just about everybody who was hiring at the time in March and April of 2001. I considered a contract to wait out the bust times but only for a second or two, and I'm glad I took the chance and started my second life even though things weren't looking that great at the time. Its like a breath of fresh air to not have to worry about anything but my family and myself now instead of Uncle Sam as well.

God Bless all of our brothers and sisters currently serving in the Armed Forces and perhaps about to go into harm's way for the rest of us.

Good luck and Best wishes in your decision.

FJ

Re: Going Blue...

Krunch said:
Only three weeks left in the mighty Viper and looking forward to going Blue...

"Krunch"

Just make sure that "Finis Flight" is a safe one. I cringe when I read about some of the stuff that happens on the last one.
Congrats on going Blue.

Latest resources

Back