Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Hello,

I was talking to a Jet Broker yesterday at HPN who drove off in a Porsche 911 Twin Turbo shortly after we finished a conversation.

Are all these guys making six figures or is it one of those career paths where a lot never make it and only a few excel at it?

I am just curious as it seems like a potentially very lucrative career in aviation that involves you being around corporate jets all day long.

Not too shabby.

I know one or two brokers. Money comes in large sums but irregularly. They can easily make 6 figures on one sale then not sell another plane for months. The ones I know do it in addition to other business ventures. You have to know what your doing to be good at it. good luck.

There are lots of them out there but you can count on both hands the ones that consistently make big dollars. Competition is fierce and alot of customers don't like to use them, they go direct to manufacturers for their resale or negotiate the rates of brokers to a bare minimum

Brokers are much more useful to sellers than buyers. Buying a jet is easy, you know what you want and how much you have, and do a little looking. Selling involves advertising, appraisals, and showing the aircraft to potential buyers. Most companies don't have someone to dedicate to answering questions and showing the plane, so they hire a broker.

Is there an industry standard for brokers commission?

A friend of a friend's friend asked me to help with selling his aircraft and I have no idea how much to charge. I don't want to undercut the industry so I need to know a fair percentage.

Thanks a lot.

Is there an industry standard for brokers commission?

A friend of a friend's friend asked me to help with selling his aircraft and I have no idea how much to charge. I don't want to undercut the industry so I need to know a fair percentage.

Thanks a lot.

I charge 1.5% to 3% on new aircraft but I also take delivery for the client and do the acceptance flight then ferry to tanking facility if required. If we are also doing the ferry flight that includes bailment contract reg/dereg fees some times pilot labor on the ferry flight.

Example a new loaded Cirrus Turbo GTS $677,000 we make an average of $17,000 that includes pilot labor & airfare for delivery anywhere in the world or containerization and ocean freight. (we do not ship Cirrus Aircraft)

Out of the $17,000 We Include.
Expedited Reg/Dereg/flywire
Airfare to Duluth MN
Hotel stay in Duluth
Fuel to Bangor for Tanking or Fuel to containerization facility
Hotel while aircraft is being tanked or put in container for shipment
Return airfare business class or Aircraft Containerization $3,500
Pilot Labor for ferry flight and/or Shipment of Container
One client I include all delivery fees because he buys multiple aircraft at a time and its a quick drop in Denmark.

I have sold 8 aircraft this year "slow year" to repeat clients some with delivery but most with containerization.

I no longer deal in aircraft over 5 years of age way to many headaches but when I do sell a used aircraft not older then 5 years I include the Export C of A inspection in our percentage.

This business model works great for the ferry of aircraft and can be a easy $100,000+ a year income not going to go in to exact details what works for me may not work for you and not going to give out a complete business plan.

I know one jet broker he makes over $600K a year using similar business model he works less but has multiple type ratings and knows his jet aircraft. He just sold a Hawker 400XP made a windfall but it's only the second he has sold this year "its slow" so save while the feasting is good for when the famine comes

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back