Jeppview - Printer - Laptop - Input?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

...so I'm ditching the Airway manual service...I hate the binders.

Going to Jeppview and Flitestar(which I already have)...here's the catch.

We (wife and I) are looking for a printer. It's either going to be a portable printer I can take on the road with me or a laser printer to keep here at home.

Now, part of me would rather have the printer on the road...print out the stuff when I plan the flight and I'm set. If I have the laser printer at home it's print out the plates I think I may need for an entire trip...yikes.

Obviously I'd be carrying my laptop with the software with me during the trip for emergencies, but I'd prefer to have the paper charts...just not the updates :p

I know about Q service, but I can get the electronic charts much much cheaper...so that's a factor.

Input? Thanks!

-mini

PS
Those of you that use a similar setup...regular paper or the "Jepp paper"?

We have a few EFBs and I carry the JeppView on my laptop. We are 135 and are required to have a printer onboard. I have a Canon i80 in one plane and a Canon iP90 in the other. Great printers, compact, print quick and store easily. The ink cartiridges are tiny so I wouldn't recomend them for home use or large print jobs. I can use the laptop to print charts on the road at hotel printers, etc. or fax them to the hotel using WinFax. JeppView will not allow you to save the charts as a PDF or other format. You can take screenshots and paste them into a graphics program to save to a disk if you REALLY get in a bind. I've done this in when I can't get my laptop to connect to the hotel network. Copy the images to a USB drive and use the hotel/fbo computer and printer to print what I need.

Overall I love the Jeppview system. I like having ALL the charts whenever I need them. I also keep a day book updated with paper for my homebase and a few airports we travel to frequently.

mike1mc said:
JeppView will not allow you to save the charts as a PDF or other format.

I don't have JeppView but if you get www.cutepdf.com it installs a virtual printer which you can select when you go to print and will make PDF's. Should allow you to easily save your charts in PDF format as opposed to the cutting/pasting you are doing now.

mini--We've got a printer on the airplane but there are some small printers available that look like they'd work really well on the plane. We do the "guess which airport we'll be going to" game but we also have the Planeview and tablet PC we can hook up to the printer in the back.

Good luck.TC

AC560 said:
I don't have JeppView but if you get www.cutepdf.com it installs a virtual printer which you can select when you go to print and will make PDF's. Should allow you to easily save your charts in PDF format as opposed to the cutting/pasting you are doing now.

I have Acrobat Professional and if you "Print" to a PDF, it comes out all jumbled. I think the reasoning is that they don't want you to have the ability to make any changes to the chart electronically.

mike1mc said:
I have Acrobat Professional and if you "Print" to a PDF, it comes out all jumbled. I think the reasoning is that they don't want you to have the ability to make any changes to the chart electronically.

Jepview 3 security protocol is all about not letting you put the program on to many computers. I would think that the main reason for not being able to print to a PDF has more to do with electronically sharing (email to others who don't have a Jepview subscription) the charts than the ability to edit the charts.

Latest resources

Back