Jepp's vs Nos charts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilothouston123

We are a small aircraft management/135 operator. We have a few Gulfstreams and mid size jets. Our New chief wants us to switch from jepps to Nos charts.

Most guys hate this idea. Management says its a cost issue. I believe its because of the difficulty keeping up with updates.

I am looking for feedback on the pros and con's to making this switch and some suggestions on how to keep up with the updates.

We are a small aircraft management/135 operator. We have a few Gulfstreams and mid size jets. Our New chief wants us to switch from jepps to Nos charts.

Most guys hate this idea. Management says its a cost issue. I believe its because of the difficulty keeping up with updates.

I am looking for feedback on the pros and con's to making this switch and some suggestions on how to keep up with the updates.
My bet is that your new chief pilot is an old military pilot - right? With fuel running what it is the cost of a full blown Jepps subscription is insignificant but there is that old saying that if you mind the pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves.

We actually use both and have done so for a while now. Initially, we started using them to "backup" our Jeppview plates that we printed out on a per trip basis. It made updating a non existant chore - since we printed the Jeppview charts as we needed them there was essentially no Jepps to update, just the occassional enroute and area chart. We simply threw out the old NOS (actually they're now NACO) charts when they had expired. It was great! Now we have a dual file server equipped Proline 21 system in our Falcon so we are paperless, but being the sceptic that I am, we still use NACO charts provided by Air Chart Systems (www.airchart.com) just in case... They're actually pretty convenient, there's no revising them per se, you update them as you use them. Pretty slick.

I think the bottom line is that you are always most comfortable with what you are used to. The NOS charts aren't bad, they're just different from Jepps. (That being said, personally I am a Jepps fan.)

It will just take you a little while to get used to them so that you don't fumble around looking for things. Here's a website that will help you get started with the process:
www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guideHave fun!

LS

Last edited:
I think they are called NACO charts now.

wtf?

A flight department with Gulfstreams and Falcons, and they cant afford Jepps? Give me a %$#@ break! What's next, not hangering the plane overnight with a coming snowstorm, and then the next day have you guys go out there with brooms to clean the plane? It is a cost of doing business, and if that wasnt budgeted for in the meeting with the owners or worse, they said they could do without to get some brownie points, then the guys who run the operation are a bunch of idiots! I bet they'll wait till the NOS charts expire, then make the drive to a little po dunk fbo in the midwest to buy a new one.

WTF?

Latest resources

Back