Jepps Trivia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL000

A while back on the old board, the question was raised about the naming of approach procedures and the significance of letters following the navaid in procedure titles (i.e. VOR-A, ILS-Y). I searched long and hard for the answers, but found nothing specific. Also, I don't recall any valid answers being posted.

In the November Pro Pilot, I came across a Q&A that addresses the question. The ILS Y Rwy 19 plate at KVPS is shown, and the following question (among others) is printed:

"The 'Y' in the procedure identification signifies_____

a. this is a military approach
b. FMS-equipped aircraft can execute this approach
c. there are at least 2 ILS approaches to Runway 19
d. all of the above

anyone want to take a stab at the answer with an explanation before I post it? No peeking at the mag!

The answer would be C, there are 2 ILS approaches to RWY19. Similar to the VOR-A etc, letters of the alphabet are used but start at the end of the alphabet so the precision approaches are not confused with the non-precision ones, ie, ILS Z RWY 19 would be first. Since they are both precision approaches, they probably require different equipment to execute like an ADF or TACAN.

GaryG

garyg,

eeeexxxxcellent.

Here is the printed answer:

(c) In fact there are 2 ILS approaches to Rwy 19 using the letters 'Y' and 'Z' in the procedure identification. However, the ILS Z Rwy 19 is not published by Jeppessen because it requires TACAN, while the 'Y' procedure does not. The naming policy is to use a letter proceeding backward from the end of the alphabet. This prevents confusion with procedure identifications for approaches with circle-only minimums such as VOR-A, -B, etc.

Good gouge, but can anyone find where this is stipulated. other than the magazine article? Just one of those pilot things, I gotta know.

Thanks

This is one of the many reasons that EVERYONE should contribute to this board. Great stuff!!!!

Latest resources

Back