Jepp users...any advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

minitour

My airway manual subscription is up for renewal in April, so I've been considering an alternative as the revisions drive me INSANE...and if I have to do another checklist, I think I'm going to pluck my ass-hairs out with porqupine(sp) quills. For those of you that will say "use government plates", thanks...but I prefer the Jepp layout.

So, I've been considering NavSuite which comes with FliteStar IFR (which I have, but it gives me the revisions) and JeppView (electronic charts).

I can actually get it to be cheaper (for me) if I go with NavSuite, but it means my wife and I getting a laser printer (cost per page is lower than the inkjet equivalent...faster too).

So...here's my group of question.

1. Would you recommend this instead of the Airway Manual? Why/why not?

2. With FliteStar IFR I can print out the en-route chart strips, but what if I get re-routed off my filed route?

3. Anything else I should consider/know about NavSuite?

Thanks for the help guys!

-mini

Have you considered Jepps "Q" service? Its a bit like getting revisions but its not. You get your initial set and then normal updates, but the kicker is you don't update the book unless you're going to use that particular airport. Then every few "updates" you get a new set. Dump out the old and in with the new. No more updating that NDB approach in CYFG that you'll never use or that gravel 2900' strip that our Falcon wouldn't even think to do.

I'm thinking you prly don't have more then US coverage. If that's the case, look into the Q service.

However, for my money, go with an EFB. You're likely 91 so you have plenty of flexibilty and no FAA oversight, which makes it VERY easy for you. Get a Jepp scrip for the charts only.

That's the way to do it, IMO.

ultrarunner said:
I'm thinking you prly don't have more then US coverage. If that's the case, look into the Q service.

However, for my money, go with an EFB. You're likely 91 so you have plenty of flexibilty and no FAA oversight, which makes it VERY easy for you. Get a Jepp scrip for the charts only.

That's the way to do it, IMO.

EFB seems like an awesome solution.

Any idea on cost?

-mini

minitour said:
EFB seems like an awesome solution.

Any idea on cost?

-mini

It is the best solution. Cost is strictly a function of the hardware you choose. Looking at your profile, it appears you're going to be using this in a smaller airplane. If that's the case, Richard Collins did a great review on Jepp chart solutions that can be displayed on the small hand-held windows devices. It was a few months ago. Can't remember the pub. Flying or AOPA if I recall.

But a good review of what is available in the smaller form-factor devices.

A "fullsize" EFB of the newer generation will set you back 3 grand or so, plus the JeppView subscription. But operationg 91, you only need one.

For larger EFB solutions check out these sites:

<www.flightdeckresources.com>

<http://www.navaero.com/t_bag/general.asp>

Latest resources

Back