Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tonala2k

Show me the boxes
I'm very word particular at times and my astute wife just called me on it.

I had a long round trip flight the other day. Knowing there would be no vending machines at our destination I packed a lunch. My wife asks, "What are you taking with you?" "Peanut Butter and Jelly," I courageously replied. "But dear, that's JAM." Busted!

How can I call myself cargo material when I don't even know what I'm eating. What is the difference between Jam and Jelly. And just Yesterday I saw a jar that said "Preserves." I can't work with this. I'll just have to leave the shopping to the Mrs..

Next time, tell her you're taking a PB&J sandwich and you're covered either way (UNLESS...it's preserves).

Jelly, jam and preserves are all made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.
  • In jelly, the fruit comes in the form of fruit juice.
  • In jam, the fruit comes in the form of fruit pulp or crushed fruit (and is less stiff than jelly as a result).
  • In preserves, the fruit comes in the form of chunks in a syrup or a jam.
Pectin is an undigestible carbohydrate (fiber). It is found in the cell walls of most fruit. When heated with sugar in water, it gels, giving jam, jelly and preserves their thickness. Jell-O is entirely different. It is made from gelatin, which is a protein made from animal skins and bones.

Photoflight said:
man....i always liked jelly.

I got away from Jelly and only eat Jam with peanut butter. Jam seems more flavorful and has the same amount of calories.

Ahh, debating the finer points in life...

~wheelsup

Dizel8 said:
Jelly, jam and preserves are all made from fruit mixed with sugar and pectin. The difference between them comes in the form that the fruit takes.
Of course, I eat RHUBARB jam, and rhubarb is a vegetable...oh, yeah, and I don't allow any strawberries for "filler" in my jam. :)

Fly safe!

David

Yumpin' yiminy. It took me ten years to be able to say Jelly and now they want to call it Yam!

Sven Snookegaarde

Latest resources

Back