• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JB ALPA has 50%+1

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jetblue, more so than any other airline is absolutely dependent on a somewhat happy, cooperating pilot group. The infrastructure and management skills are so weak that this place relies on Pilots not only doing there jobs well, but doing everyone else's job too. If JB plays games with negotiations and the pilots decide to play ball too JB will fall apart slowly (alot faster if an IROP is involved).

IROPS at Jetblue are horrendous. Despite pilots tripping over themselves to help out and find solutions, JB still can not UNFUKK themselves for days. During the next IROP if just half the pilots decided to put their phones down and wait for JB to fix things, the company would shut down for a week.

Just one of many examples...Storm beginning of this year. Called out Fatigued due to unable to get 8 hours of sleep opportunity and unable to reach Crew Sched (on hold for two hours) to adjust sched. Fatigue call went in at 0700 for 1000 show (1100 DEP). At 1300 they called me and asked me where I was. It took them 2 hours past departure time to realize they didn't have a pilot for a flight. This is a completely normal way of doing business here when the slightest thing goes wrong. Numerous other debacles like not obtaining overflight permits, operating out non tower airports not in our Ops Specs, forgetting to put notams on releases for months.

Jetblue, is in general a pleasant place to go to work. If they choose to change that because they don't like Unions, it will become unpleasant for all, especially all the management that have had their a$$es covered by us and haven't had to answer for their ineptness.

Jetblue, more so than any other airline is absolutely dependent on a somewhat happy, cooperating pilot group. The infrastructure and management skills are so weak that this place relies on Pilots not only doing there jobs well, but doing everyone else's job too. If JB plays games with negotiations and the pilots decide to play ball too JB will fall apart slowly (alot faster if an IROP is involved).

IROPS at Jetblue are horrendous. Despite pilots tripping over themselves to help out and find solutions, JB still can not UNFUKK themselves for days. During the next IROP if just half the pilots decided to put their phones down and wait for JB to fix things, the company would shut down for a week.

Just one of many examples...Storm beginning of this year. Called out Fatigued due to unable to get 8 hours of sleep opportunity and unable to reach Crew Sched (on hold for two hours) to adjust sched. Fatigue call went in at 0700 for 1000 show (1100 DEP). At 1300 they called me and asked me where I was. It took them 2 hours past departure time to realize they didn't have a pilot for a flight. This is a completely normal way of doing business here when the slightest thing goes wrong. Numerous other debacles like not obtaining overflight permits, operating out non tower airports not in our Ops Specs, forgetting to put notams on releases for months.

Jetblue, is in general a pleasant place to go to work. If they choose to change that because they don't like Unions, it will become unpleasant for all, especially all the management that have had their a$$es covered by us and haven't had to answer for their ineptness.
And these are things a pro-airline management active union could fix. Can you imagine a union going on strike over these instead of pay, days off and QOL?

I agree that JB does enjoy the real benefits of a hungry, pretty motivated pilot work group BUT, anytime you underestimate your opponent, you will be sorry. My money's bet on this Mgt group is not as dumb as you think.

Retro pay will stop them from dragging their feet, not to mention following the book to the letter! Both parties can drag it out.

You are = You're ...and not "your"

Retro pay??? Do you really think they're worried about a few thousand for each of you while they are saving millions on your health insurance?

Last edited:
I agree that JB does enjoy the real benefits of a hungry, pretty motivated pilot work group BUT, anytime you underestimate your opponent, you will be sorry. My money's bet on this Mgt group is not as dumb as you think.

I don't think MGT is dumb...for years they've known which buttons to push that wouldn't put us over the edge...they are masters at propaganda and the sales pitch....they miscalculated Healthcare.

Middle management is another story...not sure if it is incompetence or simply they have no power/authority to change things.

Pilots at Jetblue have lived under this cult mentality for so long that we've forgotten we have the power to push back. I think once we get a union on property such a unified group (with some resources and protection) will look a lot different than it does today, if NEED be.

The ball will be in MGMTs court...if they want to play hardball they may awaken a sleeping giant. If it is truly about "Culture" then both groups can and should work together for everyone's benefit. We'll see how Personal Dave really wants to make this.

I don't think MGT is dumb...for years they've known which buttons to push that wouldn't put us over the edge...they are masters at propaganda and the sales pitch....they miscalculated Healthcare.

Middle management is another story...not sure if it is incompetence or simply they have no power/authority to change things.

Pilots at Jetblue have lived under this cult mentality for so long that we've forgotten we have the power to push back. I think once we get a union on property such a unified group (with some resources and protection) will look a lot different than it does today, if NEED be.

The ball will be in MGMTs court...if they want to play hardball they may awaken a sleeping giant. If it is truly about "Culture" then both groups can and should work together for everyone's benefit. We'll see how Personal Dave really wants to make this.

Crash, great points, but I would counter it's never been about 'culture'.There has been only one airline where culture truly mattered, Southwest. Every other airline it's about the money. Culture is a facade for keeping costs low and stuffing money in the pockets of it's executives. Sorry for the pessimism, I used to be a believer and that took all of a year to destroy.

Good luck to you guys, you guys deserve better.

Crash, great points, but I would counter it's never been about 'culture'.There has been only one airline where culture truly mattered, Southwest. Every other airline it's about the money. Culture is a facade for keeping costs low and stuffing money in the pockets of it's executives. Sorry for the pessimism, I used to be a believer and that took all of a year to destroy.

Good luck to you guys, you guys deserve better.

I agree. Actions have shown that CULTURE is a slogan and excuse. That word comes out of their mouth frequently, it is time to put the money where their mouth is....and by money I mean benefits, workrules, vacation, etc.

I believe we will have an uphill battle, but again it is their choice. Despite what you read on various message boards, the majority of the pilots here (though not quite smart enough to vote in a union years ago) are reasonable and experienced at the airline game. Most know we are not getting an industry leading contract, but in that same respect what we have gotten so far is quite frankly an insult to our profession, work ethic, and dedication to the product. There is a middle ground...the pilots are willing to meet there, it all depends if MGT wants to show up too.

Even the chairman of the NMB doesn't know the numbers until the vote is tallied by the computers on the day of the results. No one knows whether you've reached 50% yet or not. Don't believe everything someone tells you.

Latest resources

Back