• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Montana crash kills ex-Macomb County pilot

Former Microsoft executive also killed

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]PUBLISHED: June 27, 2006[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]By Mitch Hotts[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Macomb Daily Staff Writer[/FONT]

A former Macomb County man, who relatives said lived for airplanes, died over the weekend while giving flying lessons to a former Microsoft executive in Montana.

Jason Barton, 31, a former Macomb Township resident and a U.S. Air Force reservist, was killed Saturday afternoon in Big Timber, Mont., after the aircraft he was in crashed and burned shortly after takeoff, according to Montana television reports.

Barton was instructing venture capitalist Jeffrey Harbers, 54, of Medina, Wash., but federal investigators were unable to determine who was flying. Both bodies were badly burned in the incident.

"For all of his life, Jason wanted to be an astronaut," said his mother, Katheryn Barton of Macomb Township, on Monday. "He knew he had to start somewhere so he wanted to be a pilot with hopes of someday becoming an astronaut."

As a youngster, Barton would ride his bicycle to the former Berz-Macomb Airport to watch the planes take off and land, his family said. That's when he realized his dream of becoming an astronaut would have to go through becoming a pilot.

On Saturday, Barton was giving lessons to Harbers in a new PC12/47 single-engine turboprop plane owned by Harbers when the aircraft went down about one mile from the Big Timber Airport and burst into flames, according to the Seattle Times.

The plane was registered to Harbers' venture capital firm, JMH Capital LLC in Medina, Wash., according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Harbers, 54, played a key role in the development of many software projects for Microsoft during his career there, including the first version of the Office for Macintosh computers, the newspaper reported.

For Barton, being a private instructor for aspiring pilots was a job but also something he loved to do, his family said.

"Not just because he's my son, but I truly feel Jason was the kind of person that anyone who would meet him found him to be a genuinely wonderful person, just a fine young man," his mother said.

His father, Michael Barton, recalled one episode involving his son as a youngster trying to decide what to dress up as for Halloween.

"I said 'Why don't you be a frog and hop from house to house,'" Michael Barton said. "And he looked at me and said, 'I'm going to dress like an eagle and fly.' He always was thinking about flying."

Barton graduated in 1992 from Chippewa Valley High School where he was a member of the jazz, marching and symphonic bands. He later graduated from Wayne State University and was currently working on a master's degree.

He served eight years with the U.S. Army, and then joined the Army reserves before transferring to the Air Force reserves. Over the years he held a number of aviation-related jobs but stayed active in the reserves, first being assigned to Selfridge Air National Guard Base before being transferred to McConnell Air National Guard Base in Wichita, Kan.

Barton also developed his own Web site on the Internet to chronicle his many awards and accomplishments, jasonbarton.net.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by his wife, Alexandra Hoffmann-Barton, and siblings, Jonathan and Jodi Barton.

Funeral arrangements are being directed by Gramer Funeral Home, Diener Chapel, Shelby Township.
Click here to return to story:
http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/062706/loc_barton001.shtml

kkkkkkkkk

I was just looking through some of the photos on his website, and came across the one with Julie Boatman. I'm trying to figure out where I would have seen these before. Someone mentioned he posted here.

Very sad to look at all of his pics.

..come to think of it, a lot of those pics, including the graduation ones look familiar. I've seen them all before. Why is that? did he post a link to them in the past?

I will always hold Jason in high regard. He was a very proffesional and outstanding pilot. His flying accolades were many and varied especially for his age.

Its tough imagine what could possibly bring down a plane with he in it under alleged vfr conditions. He mentored me in the PC12, he was a great instructor. I was told in the A.F. he was nicknamed IKE, for I know everything.. there's more than a few pilots that act this way, but Jason was one of the most knowledgable guys I knew, and a great stick.

When I think of the passing of Jason, one of our fallen brothers, what comes to mind is that sometimes we can do everything in our power to do "it" right and its not enough. Ever more the reason to vigilently reduce all the risks we can associated with every flight.

Rest in peace Jason.

Last edited:
Jason taught me to fly and he'll be missed dearly. He was indeed a unique person and outstanding pilot. He enjoyed teaching others about flying and aviation. His passing is loss to the industry as a whole. Good bye my friend...

AZT

Latest resources

Back