• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jack Lewis E-mail

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They should just send me straight to MD-11 Captain school right now and save the extra training cycles.

2Aoff1Bon said:
The letter said that training freezes would be upheld and to read the contract on what applies. I have -10 S/O training starting next month, but I'm pretty sure I will hold a right seat on this bid. I just missed the Boeing right seat last time (had no idea I would be that close to it). If I get it this time (or a wide-body right seat), will my -10 training slot go away or not? I didn't see anything in the contract about that scenario (then again there's a lot of stuff I read in the contract that I don't really understand.) The letter spoke of all the ripples when someone doesn't train for the seat they were awarded, so I just wonder how that is handled. I know training freezes apply to failures, but not sure about this situation.

Freezes only apply to a down or lateral bid that you could have previously held. In your case, if you start DC10S/O training, then they may or may not require you to finish it, if you are awarded a higher seat. You would then start training IAW your seniority. If they are really short in your seat (DC10S/O)- which is doubtful, they may delay your training to F/O and pay you passover pay.

Freezes, let's say you bid and received airbus F/O, and could have held 11 F/O. You are in class for airbus f/o and decide you want to change to 11 F/O. You can't. Your stuck for two years. If you haven't class, then you can. If you could hold 727 Capt, you could do that.

In Summary, once you have started class, you can't go sideways or backwards if you could have held the postion previously. Prior to class you can change your mind.

my understanding...

If you were an Airbus FO and wanted to switch to MD-11 FO, you could. Once you are in the MD-11, you are THEN locked into that seat for 2 years. If you were in the DC-10 as an FO, but back bid to the SO position, you could do that too, but once you got there, you would then be locked into the SO seat for 2 years.

Nothing prevents a back bid or lateral move, but once you get there, you are stuck for 2 years.

Goose17

I am in the same boat as "Hydraulic Pumps, Quantity & Pressure."
My DC10 S/O training starts 8 days AFTER the standing bid closes. I'm sure I'll hold F/O. But the Feb monthly bid will have already closed, and my line will have been dropped for ITU training.
I think the most likely thing would be to have us go to training so they don't have to build us a custom line.

For those of you going to the back of the -10...my impression is that if you bid the right seat of something in this bid, they will send you to school, you may or may not finish -10 plumber school though.

In the meantime I wholeheartedly agree with purple tail!! management put themselves in this situation and if we stay together we are going to be able tp exploit it big time!!! Lets show some unity and get this done NOW!
one more day of retro pay!!
Los1

USNFDX said:
Freezes, let's say you bid and received airbus F/O, and could have held 11 F/O. You are in class for airbus f/o and decide you want to change to 11 F/O. You can't. Your stuck for two years. If you haven't class, then you can. If you could hold 727 Capt, you could do that.

I think you are right and wrong here. If you are in class when a bid closes, and you bid for a seat (regardless of lateral, up, or down) that you could have held in the bid which you got your current training (or subsequent bid which closed prior to training) then you will not be awarded the new seat. But unless your current training was a down/lateral move, you are not subject to the seat freeze. I guess a good way to think of it is you can always move anywhere unless (1) You had a down/lateral bid in the last 2 years or (2) You are currently in training and could have held another seat. Then you can't go to any seat you could have held.

Also, if your down/lateral bid did not require ITU training the freeze is only 18 months.

Thats how I read it, but as crew scheduling will tell you, I am frequently very wrong...

Spur said:
I think you are right and wrong here. If you are in class when a bid closes, and you bid for a seat (regardless of lateral, up, or down) that you could have held in the bid which you got your current training (or subsequent bid which closed prior to training) then you will not be awarded the new seat. But unless your current training was a down/lateral move, you are not subject to the seat freeze. I guess a good way to think of it is you can always move anywhere unless (1) You had a down/lateral bid in the last 2 years or (2) You are currently in training and could have held another seat. Then you can't go to any seat you could have held.

Also, if your down/lateral bid did not require ITU training the freeze is only 18 months.

Thats how I read it, but as crew scheduling will tell you, I am frequently very wrong...

Spur,

I think you are right!

That's actualy what I meant to say!

Spur,
I'm not sure you're correct or maybe I just read it wrong. Example: My sim partner during MD-11 training (F/O) can holdBoeing Captain, and bids it(the last bid we had). He is awardedBoeing Captain and drops out of MD-11 training the day before his oral. Of course, he had to talk with the CP, but hesaid no problem (although I do believe he was also awarded a trainingfailure for dropping out of 11 school).
Fox

I don't understand why he would be "awarded" a training failure. He's not dropping out of training becuse he couldn't hack it, but to save the company from wasting training resources.
Hopefully this "training failure" won't be held against him in the future?

Latest resources

Back