JAA Flight Schools in the US?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I'm looking to convert my FAA ATP to a JAA ATPL. I have about 1900 multi-crew jet. Is it just a matter of studying and passing 14 written tests for the conversion? Are there any flight schools in the US that do conversions? Also, I was thinking about flight instructing for some European carriers that do ab-initio training in the USA (such as Lufthansa, Sabena, etc.). Do you think they would allow me to make a deal with them to convert my license in exchange for being an employee or working with them?

Those 14 exams are quite comprehensive, in addition you would need to pass a checkride.
Think there's a school in Naples, FL doing JAA training.

I remember that ATTI the Lufthansa school in AZ was looking for instructors a while back. I kept getting postcards with job offers. I highly doubt they'll offer you a deal. I'd rather stick with the "Campaign Against Aviation (CAA)", or maybe contact the Irish Aviation Authority. As pblind said prepare for lots of studying and start saving cash, the conversion is quite painful...

Pblind,

I thought if you have 2000 or more hours of multi-crew time that you do not have to take a checkride. Is this correct?

If you have an FAA ATP, this is what you'll need to do:

14 ATPL Theory exams.

GFT (General Flight Test). Think an ATP check ride and you're on the right track.

I/R Flight Test. Can be taken at the same time as the GFT. BUT the initial test can only be done in JAA airspace. Renewals can be done at an approved FTO in the US.

If you have over 500 hours in a Multi-Crew aircraft you're exempt from the Multi-Crew Coordination course. Otherwise, it's about US$5000 to be taught how to use common sense and get along with others.

One thing to note: you can't start the GFT until you have sat the first Module of 7/8 exams. And once you sit the exmas, a 24 month timer starts counting down. By which time you have to have it all completed or you have to start again.

Even with the current exchange rate, you're looking at about US15-20,000. Oh and that won't include the US$20,000 you'll be expected to spend on a type rating for your first job.

Im in the process right now going through NAC in Florida, pm if you want to know what I have encountered so far

Latest resources

Back