J4J in simple terms - Please Explain...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Starshipper

Yes, I have done a search and have read quite a few posts. Obviously, emotions are running very high - if my job were in jeopardy I would feel the same way...

Can someone out there explain to me in simple terms - maybe in bullet points - what J4J (especially at USAirways) means for the average regional pilot. What are the implications? I'll set up two scenarios that you can use:

1. An "average" PSA D328 or Piedmont Dash-8 Captain with low-mid seniority

2. An "average" Mesa CRJ/ERJ Captain with low-mid seniority

How will J4J affect these two types of pilots in the future?

What are the likely outcomes? What are the options for them in the future? Obviously, USAirway's survival is a requirement, and that is not certain with its precarious financial condition...

Just trying to weed-out the implications. Appreciate objectivity with as little emotion as possible - I understand that can be difficult in these trying times...

Best of luck to all involved!!! And thanks for clearing things up for me...

Bottom feeder companies like Mesa will continue to grow. PSA, ALG, and PDT will start furloughing in droves and will eventually be liquidated.

MeanStreak,

That was an excellent answer. Sure glad you cleared that up for all uf us.

I'm sure I will sleep better now.

J4J

Any Jobs created by the placement of any RJ's above and beyond the 70 RJ's currently allowed (by LOA 79) at U.S. Airways express will require 1/2 of the created Jobs in the RJ's to go to Furloughed U.S. Airways pilots IF they want it. They have the option to pass. Also regardless of seat position i.e. FO/Capt they will get Captain Pay.

Example let us say that 500 jobs are created, 250 furloughed pilots have the option to take jobs. Out of the 250, 125 are Captains and 125 are FO's. They start there seniority at DATE OF Hire with new employer.

Hope this helps

I guess those poor guys at Mesa must not make very much...

I feel sorry for their F/Os having to watch some newhire (mainline guy) come in and make three times the money for the same job.

Oh well...

Furlough Protection

The U guys, in addition to preferential bidding for Captain seats (50/50) and higher pay, will be afforded furlough protection by tail #.

Yes!

If the positions being RIF'ed are in a new j4j airplane (by tail #) the furloughs will be tailored to maintain the required 50/50 ratio. If they are in a grandfathered pre-j4j airplane, the regional guys go and the U-guys stay. Regardless of seniority.

CHQ pilots voted it down, the TSA MEC won't even put it up for a vote.

There is a lot of talk about a j4j deal with Mesa, but rumor has it that the Mesa guys are not going to agree either. The only ones who have agreed are the respective managements who are spinning the story faster than a dentist's drill.

Right now, the only pilot groups that have agreed to "participate" (I just love that euphamism) are the ones that had to in order to keep from being sold to the glue factory. That in itself should tell the tale.

Last edited:
skyking1976 said:
Sounds like a recipie for disaster to me...

Yes. Disaster for any regional pilot group gullible enough to agree to it or be coerced into doing it.

An unprecedented and blatant attempt to benefit themselves at the expense of others. The U pilots and their union leaders should be ashamed and the regional pilots ought to tell them to but this bad idea where the sun don't shine (as several groups have already done).

Not that I am supporting it in the least way, but the idea of J4J may have seemed more acceptable if majors had given wholly owned "Express" carriers the ability to "flow" between mainline and feeder operations. For example: UAL and Air Wisconsin. If the UAL pilot group would allow AWAC pilots to bid into UAL mainline slots using AWAC seniority, the AWAC pilot group could allow UAL pilots to bid into AWAC slots using UAL seniority.

I may have been smoking way to much crack, but it seems to me J4J might go over a little easier at least for any wholly owned companies if this scenario taken place. The down side would be that low seniority "Express" carrier pilots would be furloughed too. Ah, he||. I've been without sleep too long. What do I know anyway...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back