• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I've had some worthless copilots....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Traveling public does not have any understanding of the first officer's role. Just the other night a flight attendant came up and thanked the captain I was flying with for getting them home safe, said nothing to me and walked off the flight deck. I saw the same thing when I was captain. Single pilot operations will happen someday. Think about it, the train you take between terminals doesn't have anybody at the controls. Last time I checked there are no more flight engineers on newer jets. The day is coming folks, probably not in our lifetime but it's coming.

Or an operating autopilot.

Really? And what would you suggest if there is no autoland capability at that airport or on that particular aircraft? What if the winds are greater than the certified capability of the autoland feature even if it is available? You think that a flight attendant could come up there and program the aircraft properly? Configure the plane properly?

You must fly with some really awesome flight attendants. Mine have trouble with the meal requests much of the time.

............... Single pilot operations will happen someday. Think about it, the train you take between terminals doesn't have anybody at the controls. Last time I checked there are no more flight engineers on newer jets. The day is coming folks, probably not in our lifetime but it's coming.

Now how are we supposed to get that nap in if we are single pilot? Seriously, fatigue will kill that idea.

Latest resources

Back