It's that time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nptguy

College went by so fast, it seems like only yesterday I was a fresh. Well being from Long Island there is no way I will be able to make enough money to live on my own. Just wondering from the guys who have been to Portland and Salt Lake City have to say about it? Went to school in the south, seen enough to know I dont wanna live here. I've never been outwest, what is the quality of life like?

SLC sucks don't move here. The economy is almost as bad as the pay. You will freeze in the winter and bake in the summer.

The west is neat-o.
the last frontier. independent people. the mystery of the desert. beautiful skies. lakes, gorgeous ocean and beach, mountains. Skiing, hiking, other fun outdoor activities.

I find as cost of living drops, so do local wages. Of course you may be able to find a national company to work for that does not discriminate on wages according to location.

psysicx said:
SLC sucks don't move here. The economy is almost as bad as the pay. You will freeze in the winter and bake in the summer.

I wish I could disagree, being from the SLC area originally. The sad fact of the matter is that I'm finding that a pilot's life is a lot easier here on the east coast--there's just a lot more going on flying job wise. The mountains are great back home though. I visit every chance I get.

Although, it might be doable if you could swing the SkyWest thing (I'll be applying for sure.)You (and I) would be screwed though if they ever furloughed because you'd probably have to relocate to find another flying job--there just ain't a whole lot going on in SLC besides SkyWest.

Edit: Ooops, forgot that SLC is an ASA base as well.

-Goose

Last edited:
If you mean Portland, Maine then I can tell you alot about it.... I live here. Come to think of it, I used to live in SLC too.
Hmmm, coincidence?

navigator72 said:
If you mean Portland, Maine then I can tell you alot about it.... I live here. Come to think of it, I used to live in SLC too.
Hmmm, coincidence?

Hey, I'm in the PWM neck of the woods too (well, MHT/BOS area) but I'm thinking that he was talking about PDX.

-Goose

I'll have to disagree about SLC; I've lived there several times and have always quite liked it. Conversely, I've lived in Las Vegas four times, (once Henderson, and once Boulder City, nearby, too), and I can't begin to describe how badly I loathe Las Vegas. I've lived in Idaho, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado, and other places throughout the west, and my preference for a place to stay is strongly west over east. I've always liked Florida, though.

Then again, I didn't care for living in Oklahoma, but liked Kansas. The difference? What was going on in my life at the time...home is where ever you care to hang your hat; you can either like or dislike where ever you stay, and that's entirely up to you. Nothing wrong with either place. Personally, I like very few people, very wide open spaces, and if I can't walk outside and shoot, I'm not too crazy about living there. That's me...you need to decide what's right for you.

One thing is for certain; if you're not happy where you are, you'll probably need to either move, or find out what's making you unhappy and change it, or adapt to it. Staying unhappy is not the way you're meant to be.

As for SLC, if you like to ski, it's the place to go. If you like to hike, it's got it. If you enjoy the arts, there's a wide variety, contrary to what some might think. If you like to shoot, hunt, work out, fly, drive, climb, knit, sew, paint, sing, eat, jump, it's a good place to go. Whatever you want to find, you'll find there. For flying, there are several freight operations, several airlines, a number of corporations, several charter operations, a number of flight schools, several drop zones, yada, yada, all right there. The same is true just about anywhere else, too.

It's what you make of it.

avbug said:
I can't begin to describe how badly I loathe Las Vegas... my preference for a place to stay is strongly west over east.

Seriously, I avoid Vegas like the plauge, but I guess I just turned into an East Coast kid. I think it's because people take their baseball so much more seriously out here, and I really like that. It's also really nice to be within an hour of the ocean. Although there was one great golf course back in SLC that I absolutely loved, and I have yet to find its equivalent anywhere.

Staying unhappy is not the way you're meant to be.

Ain't that the truth.

As for SLC... Whatever you want to find, you'll find there. For flying, there are several... The same is true just about anywhere else, too. It's what you make of it.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I didn't like SLC. It's a great town with great people and lots of fun stuff to do. And perhaps things have changed since I was a fresh CFI too soon after 9/11 and couldn't find a job baggin' groceries let alone instructing (that's why I came out here.) It'd be great if things have changed--it'd be my chance to go back home and resume mountain biking.

-Goose

Latest resources

Back