It's a UUA Day!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BizPilot

What a day in and out of Chicago!! Holy Moly.....what a RIDE!

OEB UUA /OV OEB120005 /TM 1920 /FL 050 /TP PA23 /TB MOD OCNL SEV

MKG UUA /OV MKG180010 /TM 1920 /FL 030 /TP BE55 /TB MDT-SEV SFC-030 / /RM DURGC SMTH ABV 030

IND UUA /OV VHP100015/TM 1941/FL050/TP PRM1/TB SVR

DAY UUA /OV MIE180020 /TM 1959 /FL UNKN /TP E145 /TB CONT MOD OCNL SEV SFC-150

MBS UUA /OV MBS /TM 2012 /FL 005 /TP C441 /TB MDT BLO 030 /RM LLWS +/- 10 KTS DURGD LND 23

TVC UUA /OV TVC /TM 2032 /FL DURD /TP FA50 /RM LLWS -20KTS FA18 AND FA28- TRIED BOTH RYS

JXN UUA /OV JXN090015/TM 2103/FL060/TP C210/TB MOD-SVR

CWA UUA /OV CWA /TM 2108 /FL UNKN /TP LJ35 /RM LLWS +/- 10KT FA35 AT 300 FT AGL

MLI UUA /OV MLI/TM 2159/FLUNKN/TP CRJ2/RM LLWS +15/-10KT 200-300 AGL FA 27

TVC UUA /OV TVC /TM 2234 /FL UNKN /TP LJ45 /SK UNKN /WX UNKN /RM LLWS +/- 10KT FA 28

MBS UUA /OV MBS /TM 2250 /FL UNKN /TP DC9 /SK UNKN /WX UNKN /RM LLWS +/-15KT 500 AGL DURGD MBS FA23

it wasn't too bad down low this morning, but it sounded like all the guys at 12,000 and above were having problems.

The clouds had a real evil look to them.

I din't get any ice on flight (C208), but Pinnacle CRJ called off of the airport I was about to do an approach at with a pirep that said "moderate ice, surface to 10,000 feet".

I went ahead and climbed to 12,000 for the last 30 minutes of my flight and did half an arcs worth at that altitude before starting down on a Back Course to a runway that was at minimums. Just a slight trace all the way down...I would have had no problems climbing back on top in a missed approach.

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth on the pirep, but it certainly wasn't moderate. Trace, maybe. But at least I had a tops report...so I had that going for me.

BizPilot said:
What a day in and out of Chicago!! Holy Moly.....what a RIDE!

OEB UUA /OV OEB120005 /TM 1920 /FL 050 /TP PA23 /TB MOD OCNL SEV

MKG UUA /OV MKG180010 /TM 1920 /FL 030 /TP BE55 /TB MDT-SEV SFC-030 / /RM DURGC SMTH ABV 030

IND UUA /OV VHP100015/TM 1941/FL050/TP PRM1/TB SVR

DAY UUA /OV MIE180020 /TM 1959 /FL UNKN /TP E145 /TB CONT MOD OCNL SEV SFC-150

MBS UUA /OV MBS /TM 2012 /FL 005 /TP C441 /TB MDT BLO 030 /RM LLWS +/- 10 KTS DURGD LND 23

TVC UUA /OV TVC /TM 2032 /FL DURD /TP FA50 /RM LLWS -20KTS FA18 AND FA28- TRIED BOTH RYS

JXN UUA /OV JXN090015/TM 2103/FL060/TP C210/TB MOD-SVR

CWA UUA /OV CWA /TM 2108 /FL UNKN /TP LJ35 /RM LLWS +/- 10KT FA35 AT 300 FT AGL

MLI UUA /OV MLI/TM 2159/FLUNKN/TP CRJ2/RM LLWS +15/-10KT 200-300 AGL FA 27

TVC UUA /OV TVC /TM 2234 /FL UNKN /TP LJ45 /SK UNKN /WX UNKN /RM LLWS +/- 10KT FA 28

MBS UUA /OV MBS /TM 2250 /FL UNKN /TP DC9 /SK UNKN /WX UNKN /RM LLWS +/-15KT 500 AGL DURGD MBS FA23

I can attest to it. YEEHAW! RIDE 'EM COWBOY!

regardless of what they were getting today...I find that people continuously report Mod when it's actually light (by definition). I think the whole turbulence scale needs to be re-examined b/c of the problems people have reporting turbulence accurately. I think if you gave people more of a scale to work with, reports would be more accurate. Maybe a Light 1, 2 or 3, then Moderate, 1,2 or 3, then Severe, 1, 2, 3, etc.

We never had more than light today although I admit it wasn't the most enjoyable day to fly. I too agree people tend to report turbulence worse than it is; although when the coffee is airborne, the autopilot kicks off, and the aircraft is momentarily out of control, I'd say thats severe. I guess I'm showing my relative inexperience in aviation, but its something I don't care to experience again soon.

FWIW:

• Light Chop -- Slight, rapid, and somewhat rhythmic bumpiness without appreciable changes in altitude or attitude (pitch, roll, yaw).
  • Light Turbulence -- Momentarily causes slight, erratic changes in altitude and/or attitude. Occupants may feel a slight strain against seat belts or shoulder straps. Unsecured objects may be displaced slightly.
  • Moderate Turbulence -- Similar to light chop but of greater intensity. Causes rapid bumps or jolts without appreciable changes in aircraft altitude or attitude. Occupants feel definite strain against seat belts or shoulder straps. Unsecured objects are dislodged.
  • Severe Turbulence -- Turbulence that causes large, abrupt changes in altitude and/or attitude. Usually causes large variations in indicated airspeed. Aircraft may be momentarily out of control. Occupants are forced violently against seat belts or shoulder straps. Unsecured objects are tossed about.
  • Extreme Turbulence -- Aircraft is violently tossed about and is practically impossible to control. May cause structural damage.

Flying Illini said:
I think if you gave people more of a scale to work with, reports would be more accurate. Maybe a Light 1, 2 or 3, then Moderate, 1,2 or 3, then Severe, 1, 2, 3, etc.
that would be confusing.

I don't care what the exact legal definition of the tubulence is, when you see that many people calling it Moderate-Severe it's freaking bumpy and I want no part of it!

And as far as icing... it all depends on if you're in the "juicy" part of the overcast or not. I've been on approaches where everybody else is picking up ice and we had nothing and likewise we've looked like a glazed doughnut and everybody else was clean.

FN FAL said:
that would be confusing.

I don't think so, but that's just me.

ATC: Falcon XXX, say ride conditions at FL360.

Me: Light turbulence, level 3 (which would mean it doesn't meet the definition for moderate as posted above, but it's very close...maybe only missing one part of the definition....say, maybe the only part of the definition that isn't met is that the unsecured objects are not being dislodged.

I think a system along these lines (maybe not this exact system) would give others a more accurate picture of what the ride is like. If someone says Light Level 3 or Moderate Level 1 you know pretty much where you stand...with the current system you can have one guy report Light Turb. and the next guy will say Moderate turb...which while giving a picture of what the rides will be like, it's not as accurate a picture as it could be. If you tell me expect Moderate Turb. Level 2 I know to take it seriously.

I think we have all flown with a person who over-reports the severity of turbulence. That does a disservice to everyone using the airspace as well as the controller. When you hear someone report moderate, everyone wants to know where it's located and for those that will be affected, they want to change altitude or heading to try and avoid it. That creates extra work for the controller. If it's actually moderate, great, but if people start moving when it was really light turbulence, that's a waste of resources and time for everyone involved.

Latest resources

Back