• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

It had to be said

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately, while this article may be dead-on accurate, it ignores a key concept that decides pay....supply and demand.

There are way too many pilots. This excess supply drives wages downward.

There are way too many airlines adding way too much capacity. In order to fill all the new seats, airlines have to keep slashing fares downward. These plunging fares drive wages further down.

Inability to differentiate product. Whether you fly DL, WN or CO...they're all pretty much the same. Since the products can't be differentiated, no one can charge a premium. Without a premium, the carriers have to compete solely on costs...which means more downward wage pressure.

I wasn't even alive when regulation was in place, but it seems to me this is really the best situation for pilots. IMO all 121 opps should be run like the US postal service, or at least regulate the airlines profit margin more. Why was regulation even broken up? Was it just to give the customer cheaper tickets?

An airport manager spends $60-70K on an education, makes at best $60k a year (this assumes your lucky enough to get a job at a major airport as there are only about 150 such positions nationwide that pay that much), but generally about $45k a year. Misses a piece of FOD on the runway during a night inspection, aircraft is damaged, career over.

Point being, there are other positions in this industry with the same amount of responsibility and risk, with personnel who spent the same kind on money on their education, work the same chitty hours, can have the same results from an error and make half as much.

Quit your crying.

Skyboss said:
An airport manager spends $60-70K on an education, makes at best $60k a year (this assumes your lucky enough to get a job at a major airport as there are only about 150 such positions nationwide that pay that much), but generally about $45k a year. Misses a piece of FOD on the runway during a night inspection, aircraft is damaged, career over.

Point being, there are other positions in this industry with the same amount of responsibility and risk, with personnel who spent the same kind on money on their education, work the same chitty hours, can have the same results from an error and make half as much.

Quit your crying.

I think your numbers are off... LAWA (Los Angeles) pays their Airport Ops Coordinators (the "front line" ops guys), a BASE hourly wage of $20 and change. I can't speak to what the head of LAWA makes. I worked with a guy who's dad was head of IAD (MWAA runs both IAD/DCA, the guy just worked IAD) and he said his dad was making in the neighborhood of $100k/yr.

It Is run like the Postal Service. Postal workers have guns, Flight crews have guns!!

See, you ask, the guv-ment provides!!

smellthejeta said:
I think your numbers are off... LAWA (Los Angeles) pays their Airport Ops Coordinators (the "front line" ops guys), a BASE hourly wage of $20 and change. I can't speak to what the head of LAWA makes. I worked with a guy who's dad was head of IAD (MWAA runs both IAD/DCA, the guy just worked IAD) and he said his dad was making in the neighborhood of $100k/yr.

That assumes overtime, and do you know how rare it is to get a postion there? It proves my point. $20 an hour = $42K a year. Yes, department heads make $100k, but that's what...10-15 positions that will pay that rate nationwide. Outside of the top 10 airports, no one sees $100k. The Director of Airside at LAWA makes $85k, Vice Presidents about $150k. But you have to be pretty **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** lucky (and a minority) to get one of those 10-15 positions nationwide wouldn't you now? In the world of the good ol' boy club, being white and in airport management means you will never see one of the top jobs at a top 10 airport because the boards are too busy overcompensating for 50 years of undercompensation. That is something to bitch about.

Skyboss said:

Quit your crying.

only 70,000 huh....

mooser said:
only 70,000 huh....

Yeah.. Only $70k. Not cheap when income potential is incredibly remote at being over $100k. Average is less than $50k.

Bottom line. If you're bitching about your income in this field then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Get the hell out and find something else to do, leave it to those who are in it because they love it.

Money hungry little whinny azz bitches. So you don't get a Porsche? You going to die from it? Apparently some of you are.

Your average TSA screener makes 40k a year with only a GED.

WTF?

No **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**. Thsoe mother **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ers are way over paid.

Latest resources

Back