Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Even after 9/11, it's really kind of amazing how much freedom we have in this country. I was just thinking about the process of flight training. As has been proved in 9/11, using airplanes to attack large masses of people proved to be terrifyingly successful. And although it would be extremely difficult to ever pull off another hijacking on that scale, the truth is that the basic means to do it haven't really changed at all.

I walked into a flight school, and started asking questions. People were extremely helpful, and not once was I ever required to prove my identity, citizenship, or show any other documents. Even throughout my training, I've been able to continually soak up information, get a feel for how an airplane fly’s, and still, nobody is giving a second thought to my identity or citizenship. I know there's been a recent requirement by the TSA for instructors to validate a students citizenship, but I must say, I haven't been asked.

Okay. So I'm receiving real flight instruction, in real airplanes, and all this without ever having to go through an screening process. What else can I do???

I can walk into any book-store in America, and buy an almost infinite number of books and literature on airplanes, jets, ATC, airports, etc...I can go on the internet, and buy manuals that describe in detail, how an airplane is flown, how it can be navigated, and what control does what. I can even buy books that outline exclusively what general procedures are used in turbine aircraft. I have all this at my disposal, and again, nobody needs to validate your identity for just purchasing some books!!! And yet, after reading enough of these books, I can obtain a very impressive general understand of basic procedures used in operating any aircraft. It doesn't end there.

For little more than $20, I can buy myself flight simulator software that includes large turbine aircraft. Some of these simulators are indeed very detailed and quite accurate. While it may not be the real thing, these simulators, at the very least, can give you a rough idea of the handing characteristics of large turbine aircraft. With time, you may even become proficient enough to steer a real jetliner. Not take off, not land, but simply point it where you want it to go. Again, I need not show any identity for purchasing what is really nothing more than a video game.

Now what if, I really wanted to attempt to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building. If I've been using all these recourses at my disposal, is there any doubt that I'd have a decent chance of succeeding??? Airliners are complex, but when you don't have to take off and don't have to land, is it really that difficult to simply point a large Boeing in a desired direction???

All I'm saying here is that we are lucky indeed to live in a country where we have this type of freedom. This would be impossible in a place like China. Unfortunately, that freedom could possibly be exploited by someone with very grave intentions. We may have far better security since 9/11, but the truth is that any idiot planning a suicide mission can realistically acquire enough knowledge to successful pilot a turbine aircraft into a building, and never have to go through any screening process at all, and doesn't have to pay very much either.

You are now officially on the "list"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

MTpilot said:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

I don't advocate tighter regulations at all. Just pointing out what could technically be possible.

UnAnswerd said:
Now what if, I really wanted to attempt to hijack an airplane and fly it into a building. If I've been using all these recourses at my disposal, is there any doubt that I'd have a decent chance of succeeding??? Airliners are complex, but when you don't have to take off and don't have to land, is it really that difficult to simply point a large Boeing in a desired direction???

You may think you've figured it out but until 9/11 people went along with a hijacking. I'm here to tell you, if you think it's going to be that easy again, your wrong. Every man on that plane will more than likely be out of their seat dismembering the jihadist infadel scum. If I am going to die, I'm going to do it like a man.

UnAnswerd said:
This would be impossible in a place like China.QUOTE]

I think China and America have different forms of government.

Yes, I'm quite sure I read that somewhere.

OK, so, if people think that playing with Flight Simulator can now teach one enough to successfully hijack an airliner and fly it into a building, does that mean I can think that playing with same can teach me enough to land the airplane in an emergency? Or is that still a no-no? ^_^

UnAnswerd said:

Who wants to be on UnAnswerd's "Find-A-Girlfriend-For-This-Guy-Fast" commission?

Without going to some sort of totalitarian or dictatorship government there is no way to seal every hole. A reasonably intelligent person, or disciplined group thereof, will be able to commit such acts again provided they have the will to do so. That is a fact of life. I'd rather live with that risk in a free country than face the alternative... and as such I am deeply saddened and angered at the erosion, how ever slight, of our civil liberties as a result of 9/11.

Now I personally think the odds of a very similar attack to 9/11 are slim as the gaping holes have been patched... more or less.. and because of people's attitudes that have changed. However, the fact remains that there are other ways to bring down airliners, other ways to wreak havoc with explosive means that anyone with some basic chemistry or physics understanding can easily create.... all it takes is intelligence and the will to do such acts.

This is a fact of life, and it won't change anytime soon. I personally believe that we will see a lot more of this 'holy war' (and lets not kid ourselves, that is exactly what it is: extremist Islam against the rest of the free world). The contradictions that this sort of war creates against the ideals and premises of a free society are troubling indeed.

Latest resources

Back