Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dogfighter

:cool:

Hello folks, I was wondering if there are any current or former Island Air guys/gals out here (have an interview on May 20th).

If so, how about giving a little info on what to expect on the interview in the areas of tech questions, get to know you type scenarios, and are there in sim rides (since I was told it would be a two process).

Thanks in advance.

Hey guy,

I was interviewed by Joe Edwards from Island Air the other day over the phone. He was a very nice guy, and completely laid back. Questions consisted of lots of back ground, driving record, job history, and about three or four flight ??'s

What do you sqawk with loss of communications?

You're taking off, when do you need an alternate?

You're getting a flight release from a dispatcher, you smell alcohol on his breath, what do you do?

He said I did well, and I should be hearing from HR in two weeks for the next step in the process.

They seem like a nice company, no flow through with Aloha, however they look at Island Air's seniority list before hiring anyone else.

Good luck.

Av8ter

dogfighter said:
:cool:

Hello folks, I was wondering if there are any current or former Island Air guys/gals out here (have an interview on May 20th).

If so, how about giving a little info on what to expect on the interview in the areas of tech questions, get to know you type scenarios, and are there in sim rides (since I was told it would be a two process).

Thanks in advance.

Technical questions I was asked (10/2000):

- What are the requirements for a visual approach?
- How do you land in right crosswind?
- You notice the smell of alcohol on captain's breath as you are taxiing into position, what do you do?
- Captain wants to go below DH by 50 feet to take a look since pax are unhappy due to massive weather delays, what do you do?
- Know all about Vmc
- Brief the approach. Usually, it's Kapalua/West Maui VOR-DME (PHJM), then during the circle you lose sight of the runway, which way do you turn (AWAY from rising terrain)

Personal questions:

- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- What is leadership and what is your leadership style
- Tell us about a difficult time in your life and how you handled it
- Have you applied to other carriers?
- Where do you see yourself in a year? In 5 years?
- Are you aware of cost of living in Hawaii?

Bottom line, go in there and be yourself. Be prepared and WEAR A SUIT!

Joe is by far the best boss I've ever had. Very fair, understanding, and a good friend of the pilot group in the management.

This is a fun job. We have one of the best medical plans available, industry-standard pay, good work rules, good schedules and other standard airline benefits. We also have 401k (unmatched unfortunately), and a retirement plan.

Good luck and if I can help any further... drop me a PM.

Aloha!

Hey Freight dog,

I feel REAL GOOD! I got the call from Island's HR folk's yesterday, and it seems that I did well with my phone interview with Joe Edwards and I will be going to the next phase in Atlanta. I'm going to really prepare for this one because I really want this job. Flying in Hawaii would be great for a lot reasons and I hear the Dash 8 is a wonderful airplane. Do you know anything of the test involved? is it like the other's I've taken recently with Allegheny and Skywest, ATP 50 questions you know. And what about the sim ride, are there going holds, V1 cuts, engine outs? Any gouge you can offer would be really appreciated. Thanks man, and I hope to meet and fly with you someday. Mahalo

Av8ter

OK... the test.. it's a basic ATP written questions pertaining to weather, and multiengine aerodynamics, as far as I can remember. Not difficult. The tough part is the psych test or whatever they call it. I think Allegheny and Piedmont use it. Tic tac toe grid with numbers flashing in there, sequence of numbers, colored words like "YELLOW" is written in black letters and you have to answer what color is the letter written in. It's wacky, but that's what makes or breaks people. I think we did away with the sim back when I interviewed. As far as I know, no more sim ride...

Good luck!

Latest resources

Back