Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

is weather required for ATC to issue an approach clearance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bernoulli

I was wondering if the weather is required at an airport for ATC to issue an IFR approach clearance to that airport. For instance, Lets say that airborn pilot reports indicate that the weather is clear and a million, however a non-towered airport's ASOS or AWOS is out of service. Can ATC clear a pilot for a precision or non precision approach to that airport? I don't think they can because there needs to be an altimeter setting... not to mention part 135 and 121 MUST have the minimum visibility reported on the field prior to passing the FAF. What are your thoughts on this...especially ATC guys. Any regs that spell this out would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any serious answers.

For 135/121 operators, there must be an "approved" weather observation at the airport prior to beginning an instrument approach.

Back in the day, I was responsible for getting local weather observers trained and approved (generally the airport managers) at very small airports, so our scheduled little airplanes could shoot the approach.

Otherwise, we would simply request the lowest vectoring altitude and overfly the airport, in the hopes of gaining a visual.

If you're working part 91 (I don't know about the new fractional rules at all) you can shoot any approach you want to anywhere you want to without approved weather.

ATC doesn't care what the weather is. They'll clear you for whatever you think you can do. You decide if you're legal or not.

ATC could care less about the weather. They'll clear you in 1/8SM FZRA VV100 for an NDB approach with 700' minimums.

It's the pilot's responsibility to ascertain that he has the required weather for the approach.

The local altimeter setting is an ATC responsibility, but it is only for A/C separation with other A/C, not with obstacles, trees, hills, etc.

Under 121, aren't we as pilots approved weather observers (considering we are responsible for determining whether we meet our minimums)?

Can we not overfly the field, observe the windsock, use a nearby altimeter, and fly the visual based on our weather observations?

IMC is a different story. I'm wondering if this would be legal VMC.

Difficult to find a clear answer in Ops Specs.

The only thing ATC cares about is seperation.

Under 121, aren't we as pilots approved weather observers (considering we are responsible for determining whether we meet our minimums)?

Can we not overfly the field, observe the windsock, use a nearby altimeter, and fly the visual based on our weather observations?

IMC is a different story. I'm wondering if this would be legal VMC.

Difficult to find a clear answer in Ops Specs.

No, we are not approved weather observers.

Scenario:
Destination is an uncontrolled field, with ASOS. Weather package before departure shows perfect weather, forecast shows perfect weather. Approaching the destination, the ASOS takes a crap. No official weather observer on the field. We overfly the airport, it's 15C, unlimited vis, dead wind sock. But no official weather less than an hour old.
What would you do?

What does your ops specs say?

C64
a 1-4?

I don't have "ops specs" issued to me any more, but from what I remember, those were the chapter and verse describing what you need to operate at an uncontrolled field. And one of those is a weather observation - and you don't cut it - to start an approach.

Scenario:
Destination is an uncontrolled field, with ASOS. Weather package before departure shows perfect weather, forecast shows perfect weather. Approaching the destination, the ASOS takes a crap. No official weather observer on the field. We overfly the airport, it's 15C, unlimited vis, dead wind sock. But no official weather less than an hour old.
What would you do?

Fly a visual approach and land. The weather is required to start an instrument approach, not a visual.

Latest resources

Back