Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is United giving former interns interviews????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Street mins back then were a whopping 300 hrs. Gee I wonder why there are quite a few professional F/Os over there.

Dude, did you get turned down by UAL or are you telling people you interviewed the same day, as the half black, half Asian, part native American chic.

This has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've read on here in a long time.

Most "interns" in my experience, having interned at United in 1996, were/are the top students from their respective universities, are highly motivated and generally very outgoing individuals who are driven to do better than the next guy or gal.

True, but at that time, the program was much more selective. How many interned at the TK alone per semester at that time, maybe 10? By the time 2000-2001 rolled around, it changed, as I'm sure you well know. It went to what, 50 per semester?

I'm not bashing ALL former interns, many of my friends did the program and I was happy they got it and felt that they fully deserved it. Some that I flew with at my former job would never shut up about how they interned there, were going to get hired as soon as they had the 1500 tt, won't need to upgrade to CA, cocky, arrogant, would not take a class if it was into the props, jets only for them, blah blah blah. I had a hard time believing that some of these people were the "best of the best" from their respective school.

Like I said, not ALL were like this, but the demographic/personality of those selected just before 9/11 changed.

Last edited:
True, but at that time, the program was much more selective. How many interned at the TK alone per semester at that time, maybe 10? By the time 2000-2001 rolled around, it changed, as I'm sure you well know. It went to what, 50 per semester?

I'm not bashing ALL former interns, many of my friends did the program and I was happy they got it and felt that they fully deserved it. Some that I flew with at my former job would never shut up about how they interned there, were going to get hired as soon as they had the 1500 tt, won't need to upgrade to CA, cocky, arrogant, would not take a class if it was into the props, jets only for them, blah blah blah. I had a hard time believing that some of these people were the "best of the best" from their respective school.

Like I said, not ALL were like this, but the demographic/personality of those selected just before 9/11 changed.

First of all, I'm not here trying to toot my own horn. When I did my internship back in 2000 at UAL there were 8 of us selected from my college. All 8 of us had 4.0 GPA's and were well rounded individuals. That was the most coveted internship to be selected for where I went to school.

As I said, I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or look better than others here but rather trying to provide some factual information. The people that were selected from my college were highly motivated and well deserving. They are all great people and have been highly successful in the aviation world.

I have no interest in working for UAL after what they've become. I feel there are much better avenues out there that are just as lucrative in the long run, provide a much higher QOL, and job security.

Ok, now you can all bash away about how I'm a "nerd" or a "dork" or what have you in typical flightinfo fashion. :)

Well, I'm not going to bash you or call you a dork, I don't know you. But judging from the aircraft in your profile, I may know of you.

However, in typical "flightinfo fashion", never underestimate any body's ability to completely mis read what you wrote;

First of all, I'm not here trying to toot my own horn. When I did my internship back in 2000 at UAL there were 8 of us selected from my college. All 8 of us had 4.0 GPA's and were well rounded individuals. That was the most coveted internship to be selected for where I went to school.

Impressive, but you didn't read all of what I wrote. There used to be less than 8 interns TOTAL at TK from all schools at one time, not just 8 from ONE school. Wasn't talking about YOU in particular, or all of them. Just the ones I knew at ACA. Get it? Now, like I said, It USED to be about a lot more than just GPA's.

As I said, I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or look better than others here but rather trying to provide some factual information. The people that were selected from my college were highly motivated and well deserving. They are all great people and have been highly successful in the aviation world.

I have no interest in working for UAL after what they've become. I feel there are much better avenues out there that are just as lucrative in the long run, provide a much higher QOL, and job security.

Ok, now you can all bash away about how I'm a "nerd" or a "dork" or what have you in typical flightinfo fashion. :)

Dude, did you get turned down by UAL or are you telling people you interviewed the same day, as the half black, half Asian, part native American chic.

No, little man. I have never interviewed at UAL. I did share a crash pad with a few UAL capts and they did confirm there are more than just a handful of professional f/os over there. With out delving into it, we all know that UAL was the laughingstock for quite sometime for some of the "qualified" individuals they hired

It went to what, 50 per semester?

In some cycles I believe that was true, but not always. The rough numbers from summer 2001 were 100 applications, 50 interviews, 25-ish, maybe 27, selected. At my particular pilot factory, 3 were selected out of 10 interviews.

Latest resources

Back