Is this move a career killer???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

greenDOG

Anybody have an opinion on this situation???

A pilot is flying widebody jets internationally for a foreign carrier. He already has about 6000 total time, >1000 PIC small jet, and >500 SIC widebody. Do you think it would greatly hurt his chances of being offered an interview by a major US cargo or passenger airline in the future if he leaves his widebody job to accept a job offer flying single-pilot, IFR, Part 135 cargo in small turboprop aircraft?

Negative consequences of the move:
Widebody jet to turboprop
Part 129 to Part 135 (not really negative)
2 pilot crew to single pilot
Glass to dials
60k pay to 40k
SIC time to PIC time (a positive!)

Reasons for the move:
24 hour reserve for for all days worked
No opportunity to ever get off reserve... ever
Constant schedule changes (several per day)
Few days off
Days off assigned randomly and changed often
Lies, threats, insults and intimidation by management
Poor living conditions
Little hope for ever upgrading
Hostile work environment

Reasons for wanting to fly the small turboprop:
Impovements in all of the "Reasons for the move:" listed above
Greatly improved quality of life
An opportunity to leave his current airline soon
A base he really wants to live in
A better place to spend a few years waiting for a major airline job

Do you think this kind of negative career progression would kill his chances of getting hired by a major US air carrier in the future? ... or greatly delay it?

I don't think it will hurt or help your odds at a major. Really, it should boil down to where can you feel comfortable marking your time waiting for the call?? Going back to round dials, would be fun, but probably take some getting used to again.

Good Luck.

Let the wife decide, she's smarter than we are!!!

"greatly hurt his chances of being offered an interview"
Probably not, but like what you said it is negative career progression and when HR is looking at your resume and you are not there to defend yourself I cannot see it helping you. Any chance you can get furloughed from them ?

It didn't hurt my career. I left a right seat 727 international job to fly captain on a small turboprop. I am now at SWA!!

Reasons for the move:
24 hour reserve for for all days worked
No opportunity to ever get off reserve... ever
Constant schedule changes (several per day)
Few days off
Days off assigned randomly and changed often
Lies, threats, insults and intimidation by management
Poor living conditions
Little hope for ever upgrading
Hostile work environment

Yep, that's flying 135 in a turboprop, alright. Now, what was the problem with your current job?

Seriously, with your experience, if you are going to make the change, why not find a decent 91 or 135 jet job or fly for a supplemental US carrier?

I don't think it will hurt you at all. Let me guess, you figured out that the people at Emirates weren't keeping their word on their initial promises.... I think we will see many people returning from the desert very soon...

On Your Six said:
I don't think it will hurt you at all. Let me guess, you figured out that the people at Emirates weren't keeping their word on their initial promises.... I think we will see many people returning from the desert very soon...

Sorry, he isn't at Emirates. Emirates gets a lot of people from his company for the exact reasons that he wants to leave.

GD, you need to come talk to us on PPW. There are some very good people over there who are excellent at answering your type of question. You did get my PM from APC with the answer to your other question, didn't you ?

TP

Latest resources

Back