• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is this "gay"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, it's a little bit gay. But not nearly as gay as they way Brit pilots refer to upgrading as "getting one's command", as if they are at the helm of one of Her Majesty's Ships. Example:

Q: "Hey Nigel, did they upgrade your Limey a$$ yet?"

A: "I was awarded my command a fortnight ago, you miserable colonial".

Q: "Congrats. Btw, we're not colonials, we're revolutionaries, or don't they teach you the difference and how we showed you the door with our bayonets in those boys' schools over there? Speaking of which, what's up with those shorts and Christopher Robin shoes anyway?".

A: "Bloody Yank!"

Q: "Wanker"

and so on..........

Last edited:
Cool thread!! Good one Yak.

Being a corporate pilot my whole career, I don't understand the whole title thing. While I firmly believe in taking pride in your work, I also believe you shouldn't take yourself too seriously. Take the old joke:

Q. How do you know a pilot is in the room?
A. He'll tell you!

Many guys flaunt their title like it is some major achievement in life. I've run across many airline pilots that still sign their name:

John Q. Pilot
Captain (Ret.)

Have you ever seen a businessman sign his name:

Jim T. Executive
Vice-President (Ret.)

No - because it was just a position he had while employed at his company of choice.

Often in corporate aviation and all the time in the airlines, your position is achieved through attrition. In other words, you got the title because the dude in front of you either died or retired. I can't think of any other career where you can have decades of experience and seniority, but if your company goes bust, you have to start back at square one.

All this to say, call yourself whatever makes you happy, but promise to not let it go to your head. Don't ever forget where you came from. Many guys are held down (in pay and/or responsibility) because the guy before him is either not confident enough in his own position and/or he figures its payback time for all the crap he had to put up with coming through the system.

I know this wasn't the thrust of dhc8fo's question, but I just had to do some 'preachin' because I have run into too many of the mega-ego pilots lately. Do your job to the best of your ability, but at the end of the day, remember what other professions wear black and white. :)

CorpAv8r said:
Do your job to the best of your ability, but at the end of the day, remember what other professions wear black and white. :)

The New York Yankees?......
You're gonna have to help me out here....

Maybe WSCoDriver should pipe in here. He might have an opinion on this.

that's about as "gay" as if the thread had started out..."i was sitting in a bar telling this guy how i'm captin and fly a 340 and he asked if he could decorate my bedroom later that night..."

OK, maybe it's not quite that gay...but i had a young person come to my airport about a two weeks ago, and he told be he was Cpt. So and So, flying this 172 for XYZ company...honest to god i didn't mean to but i started laughing...you situation is somewhere inbetween 172 gay and bar gay...

It's gay if you say it while another man's penis is in your mouth, unless you are a woman. It's just dorky otherwise.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back