Is this an MD-11

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
air_chompers said:
Haha, I've seen it before no its a DC-10. AA never operated the MD-11 but a helpful hint a MD-11 has winglets.

They didnt?

air_chompers said:
Haha, I've seen it before no its a DC-10. AA never operated the MD-11 but a helpful hint a MD-11 has winglets.

:confused: Check your info. AA was the U.S. launch customer for the MD-11.

I think its a DC10-10 (or maybe 20) because it doesnt have belley gear (center main gear).

Not sure if MD11s had those on all models or not??

Well, since the airplane in question was completely computer generated, it's kind of a moot point to think about whether AA had MD-11's, etc. I don't give much credit to movie makers when it comes to airplane accuracy!

It wouldn't surprise me to see this DC-10 in Skywest livery. ;)

ToiletDuck said:
No, this is not an MD-11, it is a DC-10-10.

air_chompers said:
T-Gates said:
American indeed had the MD-11....
Who cares what American had, it's not an American airplane. Aviationexplorer (the website) lists it as an American Airlines plane, but they are wrong. The airplane says "AIRLINER" on the side.

bigD said:
Well, since the airplane in question was completely computer generated, it's kind of a moot point to think about whether AA had MD-11's, etc. I don't give much credit to movie makers when it comes to airplane accuracy!
Although there was a considerable amount of computer "magic" at work, the airplane was clearly modeled after a DC-10. The "KW" on the nose gear door suggests that it was modeled after a foreign registered airplane. (The "KW" can be seen at about 1:09 and 1:12 in the original movie, or about half-way in the pirated copy.) (Perhaps this detail was engineered by the movie-makers to throw us all off, I don't know.)

Now, what I believe to be the MOST WRONG about this video is that AviationExplorer.com truncated the movie to remove the credits at the end. I cannot imagine the movie makers consenting to this type of use, so the copy must be pirated.

You should visit the movie's website, http://www.405themovie.com for the "rest of the story." It's quite interesting. You can download the entire movie, read about the makers and the making, and download pictures from the movie.

:)

Latest resources

Back