Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MedFlyer said:
General,

You'd better hope that SkyWest doesn't buy ASA. Because if they do, they will control a tremendous amount of DL's feed. When it comes time to negotiate new fee for departure rates, SkyWest is going to *ss rape Delta. Hope you enjoy watching your concessions go to subsidize SkyWest, so that they can buy more RJ's for United, your competitor.

Keep in mind that if DL cancels the contract with SkyWest, DL will be obligated to take on most of SkyWest's RJ's and all associated debt (just like the ACA FRJ deal).

At this point, SkyWest is in the drivers seat. DL is just a bum on the street begging for some change.

Doesn't sound like that lately. *ss rape Delta? Hardly (no pun intended). There would be a ten year deal consumated with the deal probably. I thought their CEO backed away from the deal, and now is back? Sounds like the Mesa threat got to him. The threat of Mesa will always bring down the request to *ss rape anyone. Mesa will get bigger and that will keep Skywest (and Comair eventually) in check. I bet Grinstein is in the driver's seat, and any Chap 11 filing could break that other deal. Maybe Mesa will use the Dornier 328 jets in SLC to go to the Mountain towns, like Sun Valley? Time to ditch those Brasilias for some jets.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
MedFlyer said:
General,

You'd better hope that SkyWest doesn't buy ASA. Because if they do, they will control a tremendous amount of DL's feed. When it comes time to negotiate new fee for departure rates, SkyWest is going to *ss rape Delta.

Wonder whether maybe FlyI would pick up some flying for DL? Comair? Or Chatauqua? Or some more Mesa flying? I'm not sure Skywest has all this leverage that you think they do.

Sale of ASA

With ASA's Pilots and Flight Attendants both in Contract Negotiations, who would WANT to buy ASA????

tuna pimp said:
Wonder whether maybe FlyI would pick up some flying for DL?
Why would Delta contract with a failing competitor? In order to do that, FlyI would either have to get rid of the Buses (slit their own throat) or DAL would have to pretty much do away with their scope protection.

the whole gay thing....

I remember USAir and Airtran sponors gay pride in ATL one year and pissed DL off....there were signs up everywhere... I guess we let AIrtran get bigger and bigger and let them spponsor everything in ATL too....they have the new years eve party at lenox..people in the city likes that stuff...and gay people proably travel more than us anyways..they want their money--big picture....

DL like they always do---JUST folds over.....WIMPS....

Why not fly a 70 seater on every route AIRTRAN flies, even point to point stuff, and at the same time, at the same airports, and advertise we will match Airtran fares everywhere they go, and do it with a 70 seater. Kind like Circuirt city does, we will beat the compettion prices...not ever been done before in air travel, a guarantee to beat them, the 70 seater is cheaper to operate than the 717...WE would eat away at them real quick.....

Is it me or does the General have some bizarre fetish about people getting displaced. At first he was having wet dreams about sending comair people to helena now his sheets are completely soaked dreaming about displacing skywest out of SLC. The bottom line is no one knows what is gonna happen until you see it with your own eyes. Everyone thought skyway was gonna do the DO-JET flying at first. Now mesa has to pay those leases just to play the game and find a home for their usair planes. Maybe skywest will buy delta when they go bankrupt and we can displace general to Liberal Kansas.

General Lee said:
Who would buy ASA or Comair? SkyWest will, because if they do not, they will be left behind and Mesa will come in and take over SLC. JO decided not to invest in USAir, which means he has extra cash, and now he has extra planes available from USAir Express (about 60 RJs) that could be used to replace all of SkyWest's feed if they are not "interested" in helping us out.

Fins,

You continue to say that our employees will be $crewed out of our pensions, when in reality they are already gone. The people that could be screwed are the already retired. I have no belief that I will have a conventional pension like a DB plan, I think I will have a 401K and leave eventually with what has acrued. My own pension will consist of me selling the real estate I have bought over the last few years, which has gone up considerably. They just aren't building extra land anymore!

And, here is an article from our CFO:

Bankruptcy not planned, but can't be ruled out-CFO
Wed Jun 8, 2005 05:44 PM ET
NEW YORK, June 8 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research) Chief Financial Officer on Wednesday said filing for bankruptcy was not part of the cash-strapped carrier's transformation plan, but it is a possibility he cannot entirely rule out.

Speaking at the Merrill Lynch Transportation Conference in New York, Michael Palumbo said the Atlanta-based carrier would like to complete its transformation plan outside bankruptcy court. The plan targets more than $5 billion in annual savings by 2006.

"Our plan is designed and best executed outside the statutory process," Palumbo told analysts. "But I could not stand here in front of you and say ... we cannot fiducially consider the alternative."

Delta in May said it won't generate enough cash to meet its liquidity needs this year, raising new alarms the airline could have to file for bankruptcy in the next few months.

But General Electric Co.'s (GE.N: Quote, Profile, Research) finance arm last week agreed to relax certain requirements under a credit agreement, a move seen as allowing the carrier to stave off a bankruptcy filing this year.

Delta avoided a brush with bankruptcy last year when it lined up $1.1 billion in financing from General Electric and American Express Co. It also announced a few months ago it would cut 7,000 jobs, or 12 percent of its workforce, and reduce pilots' pay by a third.

Palumbo said Delta's transformation plan is "on track," but the airline still faces several challenges. "Quarter over quarter, fuel price increased by 49 percent, domestic yield fell by about 9 percent," he said. "Yields continue to be under pressure," he added, referring to low airfares stemming from tough competition in the airline industry.

"The current estimate for fuel prices remain significantly higher than those we had planned for the rest of 2005," Palumbo said. "And increased interest costs as a result of our overall debt has also become a burden for us."

Delta, which has roughly $13.9 billion in debt, posted a 2004 net loss of $5.2 billion. It is one of several U.S. carriers that have faced cash crunches in the past two years. Two of its largest rivals, United Airlines (UALAQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) and US Airways (UAIRQ.OB: Quote, Profile, Research) are operating under Chapter 11 protection. "The challenges certainly remain," Palumbo said. "And we continue to evaluate opportunities to further reduce cost and manage spending."

Bye Bye--General Lee

scarlet said:
the 70 seater is cheaper to operate than the 717...WE would eat away at them real quick.....

If that were true, why did AirTran give the axe to Air Wis? I'll tell you why, AT can operate a 717 cheaper than an RJ.

Last edited:
Cosmo1999 said:
Is it me or does the General have some bizarre fetish about people getting displaced. At first he was having wet dreams about sending comair people to helena now his sheets are completely soaked dreaming about displacing skywest out of SLC. The bottom line is no one knows what is gonna happen until you see it with your own eyes. Everyone thought skyway was gonna do the DO-JET flying at first. Now mesa has to pay those leases just to play the game and find a home for their usair planes. Maybe skywest will buy delta when they go bankrupt and we can displace general to Liberal Kansas.

Ok, what? Yeah, I would love everyone to get displaced at least once in their lives........Huh? I am trying to figure out (this is an opinion board as well as a job board) what is happening with DCI, and I believe SkyWest is interested again in ASA because Mesa is now in the picture and can, if needed, fill in some gaps if SkyWest's management gets our's angry. I am not in any negotiations, and everything I write is my opinion. If you choose to get your wad all tied up in my opinions, then too bad. When I find written articles that support my opinions, then I post them. It is that simple. I also ask questions to people who may know things, and I post the answers also. If you can't handle it, I would put me on the ignore list. That is fine with me. Could Mesa put the do-jets in SLC and fly them to mountain airports? You bet. Are they considering it? Probably if they haven't found another buyer for the planes. You never know. But, we do know that Mesa now owns them. And, as far as buying DL, go ahead, and take some major debt along with you. And, if you do get bumped out of SLC someday by Mesa, you airline may have a hard time paying for your bills too.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

I was just poking at you since you seem to focus on Comair in Helena and Mesa bumping Skyw outta SLC. You can dream of whatever you like, was just curious thats all.. Carry on!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back