• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is the end of UAL finally here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re-regualtion is the only way. It's been since 1978 and nobody will get it right. The free market doesn't work for airlines. I'm glad that my Gas and electric are regulated. If they weren't, you'd have Paco running some new gas lines for extra cheap amigo. This pipe extra strong, it last long time. Now you have gas very cheap.

What does the snap-on truck look like in San Salvador? Probably like that old van down by the river.

For the last I don't know how many years they have been trying to cut costs rather than increase revenue. As yet it hasn't worked, but they keep right on trying. Isn't one definition of insanity to do the same thing over and over again but expect different results?

Indeed. I hear airplanes are expensive to operate. I bet if they parked all of them, they'd be making insane profits! :rolleyes:

Hmmm...more people wishing the demise of UAL.

Same old broken record here on flightinfo

I'm talking about year 2000 time frame. When Wolf was at USAir. UAL/America West was stopped by the DOT.

In 2000, it was the proposed UAL/AAA merger. As far as I could find, UAL/AWA never got beyond "heavy petting." I don't remember any announcements other than "interest in the possible acquisition of America West," with a timeframe of 1/99. I know the unions did some preliminary work, but I'm pretty sure it all died a natural death before the DOT was even summoned to bless the union.

What?!

Where in this economy are you seeing anything close to what is going on in ours? Where else, in the history of mankind, is there another industry that has simultaneously grown more safe and less expensive than airline travel? You seen any other business have to give their customers a Bill of Rights because CONGRESS mandated it?! Fcuk no! Our profession has been uniquely and repeatedly, limited and harmed, so our consumers could go to the airport and fly somewhere cheaper than staying at home!

Boeing has just about dispensed with Airbus as a competitor. FDX and UPS are huge, successful multinational companies. Fractionals are amazing companies and uniquely American. Our economy supports a space program and the world's most advanced military. However, somehow US legacy carriers struggle. Hmmm. Either we're dereglated, or we're not!

UAL should be twice the size it is.

Too many people in ALPA think like you do.

What does ALPA have to do with this...

All I am saying is quit trying to carve yourself out your own Little House of Pain.

The real estate market is turning the realtor profession upside down.... The malpractice insurance company is making the medical profession undesirable...

The entire economy is changing... it is adopt or die... quit whining about UAL as it tries to....

Now, I am not giving UAL cart blanc to treat labor like garbage or its vendors... we know that story...

The free market doesn't work for airlines.

The problem is we don't have a free market for airlines. Foreign competition is largely barred, route structures are assigned by the government, essential air service, etc.

Either way the results of re-regulating or freeing the marketplace entirely of regulation both would result in the same thing, a lot less pilot jobs.

In 2000, it was the proposed UAL/AAA merger. As far as I could find, UAL/AWA never got beyond "heavy petting." I don't remember any announcements other than "interest in the possible acquisition of America West," with a timeframe of 1/99. I know the unions did some preliminary work, but I'm pretty sure it all died a natural death before the DOT was even summoned to bless the union.

It is difficult to find the old data, so let's just assume I'm incorrect until I can. I think UAL/AWA was officially halted by AWA shareholders turning down a $35/per share offer by UAL. The DOT was signaling, though. As they were with UAL/USAir, many things were on the table like DOT requiring the shuttle be sold off and one of the hubs.

I don't think it's incorrect to say, that unless you're an LCC, DOT is going to super scruitinize you're transaction. It's not a level plying field.

What does ALPA have to do with this...

All I am saying is quit trying to carve yourself out your own Little House of Pain.

The real estate market is turning the realtor profession upside down.... The malpractice insurance company is making the medical profession undesirable...

The entire economy is changing... it is adopt or die... quit whining about UAL as it tries to....

Now, I am not giving UAL cart blanc to treat labor like garbage or its vendors... we know that story...

I'm sure you mean adapt. I think we've all done enough adapting. It's time to reform our working reality. We could simply "adapt" without a union.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back