Is the 319 an option for Jetblue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

I think so, but the question is do they have that option with Airbus? They need an a/c in the middle between the 320 and 190. 130 seat 319 would fit the bill. It would serve two purposes, depending how much they need to readjust their business model. First they need to stagnate capacity growth on the 320 side, and second they need an aircraft that has better range than the 320 for transcons. Continue to sell about 25% of the 320s in the next few years and substitute them with 319s. ;)

:pimp:

lowecur said:
I think so, but the question is do they have that option with Airbus? They need an a/c in the middle between the 320 and 190. 130 seat 319 would fit the bill. It would serve two purposes, depending how much they need to readjust their business model. First they need to stagnate capacity growth on the 320 side, and second they need an aircraft that has better range than the 320 for transcons. Continue to sell about 25% of the 320s in the next few years and substitute them with 319s. ;)

Just wondering why JB didn't use the A318 instead of the 190?? If any JB guys can chime in.....It would seem a better fit with the Airbus fleet!

The 319 costs to much to operate compared to the 190. It weighs more, burns more fuel, was about 10 mil per copy more, to big for some of the markets we want to get in to, etc.

Just wondering why JB didn't use the A318 instead of the 190?? If any JB guys can chime in.....It would seem a better fit with the Airbus fleet!

funny you shoud ask! according to some "higher ups" when the 318 came out they thought it was just a marketing gimmick. they never really thought it would work, so they went with the very first person that would build a 100 seater. they didn't care about price, range, economics, part commonality (although emb assured JB they would use interchangeable parts to the 320!).

so......now that the 318 is actually a REALITY, it just may be too late to get one.

737 Pylt said:

Maybe they used the same logic USAir used when they bought the Mini-Bus. They were offered the A319 at $24 million with it's much cheaper seat mile costs, and the Embraer at $17 million. As you know they bought the Jungle Jet.

I think for both airlines the Airbus would have been a better choice. Go figure.

GV

The cost to operate a 319 is probably almost exactly what it costs to operate a 320. It's the same airplane only smaller. With less seats you have a higher CASM. The cost to operate a 190 is probably much less than the cost to operate a 319. With the same number of seats as a 319 you get a lower CASM. CASM is what matters in this biz and I would probably bet that the savings they gain in operating a 190 vs. a 318 is greater than sticking with all buses or they would never have went with the 190.

lowecur said:

As an employee of Jetblue's competitor, I would love JetBlue to sell A320's and buy A319s in a couple of years. This would be about the time SWA signs an agreement to buy the next generation 737 based on the 787. The older technology 319 would be left in the dirt.

You've heard about the 787/A350 boondoggle, right??

Last edited:
equip. choices

FlyBoeingJets said:
As an employee of Jetblue's competitor, I would love JetBlue to sell A320's and buy A319s in a couple of years. This would be about the time SWA signs an agreement to buy the next generation 737 based on the 787. The older technology 319 would be left in the dirt.

Although we're not competitors (yet) I see where you're coming from. For what its worth, Dave told me we are not married to Airbus in any way whatsoever and cockpit commonality is not a big enough advantage compared to a superior airframe (econonically speaking...read fuel efficiency) and he specifically said IF Boeing built the 787 version of the 737 and IF it had efficiencies on scale that the 787 is advertized to have compared to similar gauge aircraft, we would absolutely get it.

With the massive growth going on in India, China and other places even with a new new gen 737 we most likely wouldn't have much of a problem unloading Busses of any "age" or hours on the world market at prices that would make the transition no more painful than SWA's. A couple extra weeks of pilot training is just not that big of a deal, especially compared to a potential 20 something percent fuel efficiency advantage going forward.

On the original topic of 318 v/s 190 as it was explained to me, the 190 (not including its rough start up record, which is significantly improved) is economically superior to the 318 in every way other than a few weeks of pilot training and of course parts inventory. But in this day and age, stocking parts is chicken scratch compared to the fuel bill and the 190 is far more efficient than the 318. Its also significantly cheaper per copy which almost completely makes up for the transition in the near term.

The 318 is basically a 319 with less seats. Very little advantage whatsoever today, and significant dissadvantages for the future in terms of financing and operating costs. If fuel were 20 bucks a barrel the 318 would probably have been a better choice, but with each increase the 190 becomes a wiser and wiser choice. Not to mention I'm 82% sure the 318 only comes with the CF engines, so that would reduce the commonality somewhat anyway parts wise.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:

First of all, I don't see a 737HT being available till 2012 or later, so the idea of near term replacements of 319s for 320 makes more sense. Airbus is working on an HT replacement for the 320 series as we speak, and it's my guess will have it ready to go before Boeing. I don't see them making the same mistake they made with the 350 using the same structural/wing/tail design as the 330.

Some selectively placed 319s would help out for sure. They could use some 319s for their winter transcons - then they wouldn't have to land short in DEN or somewhere else when their 320s can't hack the winter jet.

Latest resources

Back