Is TCAS II required for RVSM?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HawkerF/O

I say yes. It is my understanding that the United States does not have RVSM, they have DRVSM. It is because of the "D" (Domestic) that the requirement for TCAS II does not apply here in the states, but if you were to go to Europe for example, where they have full blown RVSM, it would in fact, be required. Is this accurate or have I misinformed? Please reference a source on the net if posible, so I can collect on my steak dinner. Thanks

good question, i was wondering about this too. So if I go to canada in my "RVSM" certified aircraft... am I legal ( i don't have tcasII)??

Hi!

The plane has no TCAS at all, and it's legal for RVSM.

Cliff
ELP

Yes, at least in the USA with Version 7.0(or later) software, which tightens all warning parameters over Version 6.04 reducing spurious RA's.

Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) Compatibility With RVSM Operations:
Appendix G to 14 CFR Part 91 requires all TCAS II equipped aircraft operating in RVSM airspace after March 31, 2002 to be equipped with TSO C-119b (Version 7.0), or a later version unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator.

FL420 said:
Yes, at least in the USA with Version 7.0(or later) software, which tightens all warning parameters over Version 6.04 reducing spurious RA's.

Traffic Alert and Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) Compatibility With RVSM Operations:
Appendix G to 14 CFR Part 91 requires all TCAS II equipped aircraft operating in RVSM airspace after March 31, 2002 to be equipped with TSO C-119b (Version 7.0), or a later version unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator.
I used to fly a Hawker 800A that had no TCAS at all but it did have a RVSM LOA. How is this so?

Unless it is a requirement for the airspace being used, TCAS II is not required for RVSM. If the aircraft has TCAS, it must be TCAS II and must be version 7.0 or better.

Rick1128 said:
Unless it is a requirement for the airspace being used, TCAS II is not required for RVSM. If the aircraft has TCAS, it must be TCAS II and must be version 7.0 or better.
\

TCAS I is approved for RVSM. If it is TCAS II, then it MUST be version 7 or higher.

EAP said:
\

TCAS I is approved for RVSM. If it is TCAS II, then it MUST be version 7 or higher.

This is correct, TCAS II with earlier versions than 7 can produce unwanted Resolution advisories due to the tighter separation of RVSM.

TCAS is not required for DRVSM. If you have TCASII you are required to have change 7.

Understand that TCASI only give TA's, whereas TCASII's give TA&RA's. If you have an older model TCASII it will start to give RA's to (resolution advisories, i.e. climb, descend) to traffic that is closer than 1500'. Obviously with RVSM traffic will often be closer than 1500', so they created a software change (mod 7), that prevents RA's from level traffic within 1000'.

So that is the only requirement to have mod 7 on a TCASII unit to prevent false RA's.

Latest resources

Back