• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Sierra Academy still a good school?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm an ex Sierra student and instructor. in fact i instructed over 3000 hours at Sierra. i know the chief Pilot there and also some of the instructors. sierra has always been and will always been what you make of it.

i can tell you that there have always been "cheaper" and "faster" schools around. i can also tell you that there was a high 65% or so rate of students that did not complete the program all the way. However i can tell you that I personally know of at LEAST 150 pilots from Sierra who have gone on to the regionals etc in the last 4 years. I myself was hired and typed into a turboprop as a captain and 9 months later .. i am a captain in a lear35... and i feel a part of that definitely was because of what i gained at sierra.

lastly your training no matter where you go depends on YOU. you have started the ball rolling with doing your homework... as far as flight training if you are not mentally prepared to sacrifice almost till your sanity runs out ... dont start flight training anywhere including sierra.

Lastly ... "Texan Driver".. I appreciate what you say about there being more to flying than a checklist. However ... since you havent spent a day at Sierra ... wonder what qualifies you as an expert on that school.
Remember ... dont say anything bad if you dont have anything good to say.

All the best to everyone.

Sierra's a great school, as far as quality flight and ground instruction go. As everyone says, its what you put into it that counts. The new managment is a good thing for Sierra. I am sure that the rest of the current students at Sierra will back me up on that. Good luck.

I taught at Bel Air for two years. Happy to answer any questions. Worked with guys that left Sierra veeeery quickly.

Visited Sierra back when I was looking at schools and decided against it because a)they were very flaky and b)cost of living is way too high for someone without a job in the Bay Area. A may have changed but B hasn't.

I will say that I have instructed a couple of guys who left Sierra who were very capable. Quality of training is hardly ever an issue at a big 141 school. Diversity of experience is a different story.

I agree with the above that any aviation training is what you make of it. Some schools, however, do offer a shorter route to the airlines with lower mins, guaranteed interviews, etc.

The thing that stands out to me in the original post is that protege wants to be an airline pilot but is worried about moving to Sacramento, a mere 80 miles away. If moving or being away from home bothers you, you might want to rethink your future career choice. You can't always choose who you work for or where you're based in this business. Take it from me, a northern Californian living in Kentucky.

Check out the VA schools carefully...

A surprising fact that I almost found out the hard way is that not all schools that have VA programs are approved for all of the certificates. I.e; approved for comm/inst but not multi or cfi. Ask about each program, and then ask to see their document from the VA with their approved courses.

pacsky72 said:
I taught at Bel Air for two years. Happy to answer any questions. Worked with guys that left Sierra veeeery quickly.

Cool. Thanks, man. I will ask you some questions in the future.

172driver said:
The thing that stands out to me in the original post is that protege wants to be an airline pilot but is worried about moving to Sacramento, a mere 80 miles away. If moving or being away from home bothers you, you might want to rethink your future career choice. You can't always choose who you work for or where you're based in this business. Take it from me, a northern Californian living in Kentucky.

Moving or being away from home doesnt bother me. If I have to move to Sacramento, I will, but there are other choices though. I know about not being able to choose where to work. Take it from me, an American soldier living in Baghdad for 13 months.

PHX767 said:
A surprising fact that I almost found out the hard way is that not all schools that have VA programs are approved for all of the certificates. I.e; approved for comm/inst but not multi or cfi. Ask about each program, and then ask to see their document from the VA with their approved courses.

I will definitely look into that. I can't believe how shady the managment of aviation training centers can be after months of researching. Thanks for that excellent advice, PHX.

Flight Training is a tough business to be in - and a hard one to make a profit from I'm sure. Every flight school I ever worked at had people who absolutely hated the places and others who loved it.

Including Sierra - I worked there for a couple of years and enjoyed the schedule - regular students - decent income. I do know a lot of people who went from Sierra to ATP and said that ATP was MUCH MUCH Better. Some of the common complaints were - not enough airplanes which means can't fly regularly. Too expensive. Too many stage checks in their 141 courses. Some of the common pluses were - students who worked hard and put in extra effort and time got done quickly and moved on to bigger and better things. Good place to meet other pilots - networking is extremely important in this industry.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Any flight school is what YOU make of it. Remember flight schools are there to make money. Their best interest and your best interest are not always the same. It is like that anywhere (except maybe a mom and pop operation).

I am a former Sierra student and instructor. I have seen all kinds of people go through there from the ones who keep throwing thousands of dollars into a bottomless money pit to the ones who make it through successfully. I made it through Sierra in just over $50k and just under 3 years. 3 years may seem like a long time but again it is all what you make of it, I did slack off a little bit.

As far as the quality of education. I would disagree with the earlier post and say it is very good. I could be biased but it got me where I needed to be. No flight school flying Cessnas is going to make the transition to the airline world easy but I would say Sierra prepared me as well as possible for the airline experience.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back