Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is Pinnacle allowed to do visual approaches?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LT. Dangle

Reno's Finest
I heard a Pinnacle going into Idaho Falls the other night and the guy said that they had the field in sight. The controller then told them they were cleared for the visual. Pinnacle comes back and says that due to company procedure, they cannot accept a visual and have to perform the ILS. WTF is this all about? Maybe somebody can shed some light.

Flamebait?

It depends on the station. At a few "Special Use" airports, the company requires an instrument approach. It's been a while since I've been to Idaho Falls, so I can't remember what the 10-7 page says about the approach there. It's possible though.

PCL_128 said:
It depends on the station. At a few "Special Use" airports, the company requires an instrument approach. It's been a while since I've been to Idaho Falls, so I can't remember what the 10-7 page says about the approach there. It's possible though.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks

LT. Dangle said:
I heard a Pinnacle going into Idaho Falls the other night and the guy said that they had the field in sight. The controller then told them they were cleared for the visual. Pinnacle comes back and says that due to company procedure, they cannot accept a visual and have to perform the ILS. WTF is this all about? Maybe somebody can shed some light.

There are a couple airports out west that we do that for, if it is day time, visuals are ok, but for night time, thats what we do.

Company procedure at IDA requires an instrument procedure to be flown when the tower is closed (i.e. at night). It's not a bad idea.

If you work for Skywest, you are probably intimately familiar with the airport and surrounding terrain. At Pinnacle, you probably make it out to mountainous airports once in a blue moon. The majority of our flying is in the Midwest, South, and East Coast.

I've worked for 3 or 4 airlines, and I always fly an instrument approach at night into airports with terrain in the vicinity. Surest way to keep yourself out of the dirt, company procedure or not.

Sorry if it delayed your arrival.

Latest resources

Back