• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
M

mmmdonut

See this pic:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/734309/L/

And read this FAR:
121.310g

(g) Exterior exit markings. Each passenger emergency exit and the means of opening that exit from the outside must be marked on the outside of the airplane. There must be a 2-inch colored band outlining each passenger emergency exit on the side of the fuselage. Each outside marking, including the band, must be readily distinguishable from the surrounding fuselage area by contrast in color. The markings must comply with the following:

(1) If the reflectance of the darker color is 15 percent or less, the reflectance of the lighter color must be at least 45 percent.

(2) If the reflectance of the darker color is greater than 15 percent, at least a 30 percent difference between its reflectance and the reflectance of the lighter color must be provided.

(3) Exits that are not in the side of the fuselage must have the external means of opening and applicable instructions marked conspicuously in red or, if red is inconspicuous against the background color, in bright chrome yellow and, when the opening means for such an exit is located on only one side of the fuselage, a conspicuous marking to that effect must be provided on the other side. Reflectance is the ratio of the luminous flux reflected by a body to the luminous flux it receives.

WTF, OVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??

Last edited:
If you look closely, the required markings are there. This photo was probably taken in a terminal at a considerable distance, which the markings are not easily visible.

If you look by the forward door, there is a sign showing how to operated the latch on the door. Back toward the center of the fuselage, there are two windows with markings on top of them also, which I cannot see, but am sure they state 'emergency exit'

If you look further, you'll see that a serial number search for all pictures of that particular Northwest aircraft, in fact that it had/has the appropriate "OUTLINE" markings that you are referring to. Here is another picture of that same aircraft on the same website:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/547356/L/

One of three things is possibly the cause:

1. The angle of the shoot combined with the light and camera settings used, has caused that marking color shade to not appear distinctly in the photo (you can still see the outline when you compre to the picture I have linked.

or;
2. The picture has been altered....

or;
3. Possibly in fact the paint has faded. Again you can distinctly see where it was originally painted correctly.

As far as your original question.... (its really not a question in your mind I see)........who knows... who cares.

Write a letter if it really bothers you that much..

FL717 said:
As far as your original question.... (its really not a question in your mind I see)........who knows... who cares.

Write a letter if it really bothers you that much..

Apparently you care if you took the time to reply.

And to whom might I address this letter?

Only if you're the guy who sits around in his underwear all day playing MS Flight Sim and pretending to be a pilot, Vik.

Latest resources

Back